1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for older gay and bi sexual men age 30-50

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by usagi, Feb 10, 2016.

1. usagi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, Guys

I wanted to know how many of you have dated significantly younger men, at least 10-20 years?

And would you be, are or currently embarrassed to be out in public with him?

If you could share some additional information about yourself like your community and friends it will better help me understand your response.

THANKS!!!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have I? No. However, the option was presented on more than one occasion. I've had guys in their low-to-mid-20s hit on me, and say they were interested. I'm actually partnered, so I turned them down, but I did find it flattering as hell.

Would I have dated them? Thinking about them, I think yes, I would've given it a go. Not just because I found them attractive - and I did - but because we tended to mesh well on a more friendship level, as well. I tend to run with a somewhat younger crowd anyway, so I doubt that would've been problematic from a social standpoint.

Lex

3. gryf

im 34, but have been told i could pass for 25.
    im very turned on by young smart nerdybguys like 16-26, about
    if we clicked and i thiught it had a chance of going the long run, heck yeah i would
    but, if still in highschool, even though im attracted , id saynot yet . too much stigma. and i can drink, he cant drive, etc. makes it difficult

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are all relationships with an age difference wrong? No, they're not and I'm not coming to this thread to suggest that they are. If both people in the relationship have reached a similar level of confidence and maturity and they have enough life experience, it would be judgemental to frown upon a certain difference in age and most reasonable people wouldn't do so, but when we are talking about one person being in the 16-25 age group we need to ask a lot more questions. A 16-25 year old is almost definitely at a different stage of development and maturity than someone in their 30's, 40's or 50's and it's just not going to work out. Even as a casual, "no strings" thing, it could be problematic. If you are the older guy (and I am an older guy) who happens to be attracted to, or flattered by the attention of much younger men, it may be an inconvenient truth, but it doesn't alter the fact that it is true and you need to do the responsible thing.

From time to time these threads come up on EC and we have some members chime in with their personal experience of age gap relationships, saying how it all worked out well for them, but the perspective of a few people does not amount to evidence that these relationships are stable or healthy. It does not contradict what is widely known - that age gap relationships with very young people do not turn out well (for both parties).

5. gryf

ill agree with patrickuk.

the maturity must be about equal or both parties will be unhappy.