1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family letting you down

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by My Name, Feb 13, 2016.

1. My Name

Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently came out to my mum, to cut a long story short, she said she'd love me no matter what but that I should just wait and take my time... (as if this was a phase).

A few months have passed, and I decided to tell her about my girlfriend because I felt that she wasn't taking me seriously. She reacted by saying that she was disappointed, that I should stay away from that "lifestyle" because it would only lead to bad things, that I should probably be going to the doctor often in case of any disease (i suppose)
    and that I shouldn't use her "lack of acceptance as an excuse to feel sad" or be depressed or anything like it... she even added that if I was to commit suicide, it would be ok... she hopes that I will someday "wake up".

She's the only one in my close family that knows, and tbh this reaction has left me feeling very alone and scared. I live at uni now so I have that space and freedom but I honestly feel like I don't have a home anymore. My dad doesn't know yet, but I have a feeling he'd react in a similar manner, which scares me even more because then I wouldn't have a financial backing.

My mum also said that if when I told my dad, he decided to "let me go" so to speak, then I would be on my own. :icon_sad:

I don't know what to do. Any advice? Thank you.

2. Distant Echo

Oh crap. So sorry to read this. All I can say is you are at uni, you can start making a life for yourself. It's clear you can't come out to your father, so don't. You have your girlfriend. Does she know what your mother has said? If not, tell her. Is there a LGBT support group near you, or a counsellor you can talk to? If for nothing else than to find out what your options are for financial support while you continue uni so you are not so reliant on your parents.

3. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow. I'm so so sorry your mother reacted that way.. no child should EVER have to hear their parent say something like that, EVER. I wish I could send you a million hugs <3

Hun, I know this sounds harsh, but if your mum really reacted like that.... If she REALLY said she'd be okay with you KILLING YOURSELF, there's a problem there. No mother should ever be okay with losing her child. I'm not saying your mum doesn't love you at all, but I think that she's making herself out to be some kind of martyr, like you DID something to her. That hurts a lot, trust me I know it does. The thing is, if she really would let something like sexuality come between you, she's not worth your time. Surround yourself with people who love you for YOU. If she comes around, fabulous, but if she doesn't, that's not your fault, and you shouldn't waste time you could spend with people you love trying to save a lost cause.

And sad? If my mother said that to me, I would do something a LOT worse than be SAD. My mother reacted negatively to my coming out, but nowhere near to that extreme, and it left me in tears for days. I'm still bitter about it, actually. You DEFINITELY have a reason to be sad.
    And like mirror said, you have your girlfriend, and you have a chance to start a new life. I really hope things go well for you, hun, and I'm so so sorry that you feel this way. Feel better, mkay? *hugs*

#3 RavenTheRat, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016