1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My crush and her girlfriend broke up...And now I feel lost.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by messycloset, Feb 14, 2016.

1. messycloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi everyone! Here's my story.

There's this girl at college who caught my attention at the very moment I laid my eyes on her for the first time. She had a girlfriend at the time, so I simply decided to forget about it and didn't pay much attention to her for a while.

But then, a few months later, I realised that she would always look back at me when I passed by her. I began to feel intrigued by her attitude, specially cause she was still dating the other girl. This exchange of looks continued for weeks and my interest in her grew stronger.

I found her on Facebook and added her, eventhough we had never spoken to each other and I knew we could not be more than friends. I also sent her a message, kind of introducing myself. I was expecting her to ignore my friend request, but she accepted it and was very friendly. We exchanged messages and talked about college, music, books and movies. I noticed that she really cared about her gf and was loyal to her, and I respected that.

In the beginning of the year, she and her gf broke up and that encouraged me to show more interest in her through our conversations. But I didn't know if that was the right moment to ask her out or express my feelings, so I decided to be careful and give her time to heal. As the days went by, we chatted more often than before and things seemed to be going well for me. One day, I asked her about her schedule. She answered and asked me why I wanted to know that. I got nervous and said that it was just out of curiosity. The next day, she got back with the girl. I felt sooo miserable!

Last week I found out that they broke up again, less than a month after their first break up. But there are still pictures of her and the ex on facebook...
    I'm clueless and don't know what to do. She's a popular girl in college and I fear that someone else will ask her out before I do (or that she will get back with the girl again). I don't know if I should continue being careful or if I should ask her out straightaway. I try to imagine myself in her situation and, if someone asked me out after a break up I would probably accept the invitation, depending on the context of my break up. But I don't know about hers, nor if she would react the same way...I just don't wanna mess things up with her. How long should I wait before making a move? Should I wait?

Any advice on how to handle this situation will be much appreciated!

2. confusedbubble

I'd say maybe about 2 weeks after the break up that'll give her time to process her feelings about the break up and start moving on, drop her a message sometime this week and get speaking again. Then maybe at the end of this week you could invite her out for a coffee

3. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I also say about 2 weeks. I think her and her gf have an on and off again relationship.

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is a double edge sword really. If you wait too long you might lose her to someone else. On the other hand, if you move too quickly you might become her "patch" relationship. Now is that something you want either?

I had a short and very weird fling with a friend. I had the warmest of feelings towards him but I wasn't sure if I love him romantically. I told him about my feelings but he was seeing someone else so we didn't do anything about it. Half a year later they broke up and he wanted to try a relationship with me. I agreed knowing that he wasn't over his ex but then again I wanted to experiment too.

Pretty quickly I figured out I was his patch but I also discovered that my feelings towards him were non-romantic. We agreed to be just friends and we still are. My friend felt very guilty about having "used" me although he never actually said it but the fact that he bought me expensive stuff after our "break up" says pretty much. Now, I was cool about being the patch but I suspect my feelings would have been much different if I had loved him in the romantic way.

How would you feel if she agreed to your proposal just to get over her ex?

5. messycloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That sounds reasonable. Sometimes I wonder if I should just try to bump into her at the hallways and talk to her for the first time, but I haven't seen her for a while. And everytime I saw her she was surrounded by people, or with the gf.

6. messycloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm not very confortable with the idea of being her rebound. I don't care if it takes some time for her to get over her ex and hopefully become interested in me.

Despite of my interest in her, I believe that we should probably get to know each other more as friends at first. But the only way to make that happen is to ask her out (or meet her by chance somewhere in the campus, which has a low probability of happening since I haven't seen her around for a while). I'm afraid that if I take too long, it will be too late :frowning2: My problem is figuring out how quick "too quickly" is before I act. And when I do it, I want her to think "hey, she seems to be a nice girl and someone cool to hang out with" and not " that bitch is being disrespectful towards my feelings and she doesn't care that I've just ended a relationship". Do you know what I mean?

7. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why don't you ask her for just a lunch and just talk about other stuff? This way you might get an idea how bad she is feeling about the break up?