1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a bit of advice

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by someguy01, Feb 17, 2016.

1. someguy01

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey people. I've recently started using a dating app (yes, the black mask one) and I come here for a bit of advice.
    I'm a very stressed person by nature, and yet nothing quite compares to the anxiety I've felt from thinking about meeting most of the guys on the aforementioned app.

What I'm trying to say is, how do you do it? How do you take that first step, without being completely overwhelmed by feelings of stress, panic and fear? I told this guy I'd meet him on monday or tuesday, and the closer it gets, the more I panic.

I have no idea why I'm panicking though... Does anyone have any idea how I can settle down and calm myself? Simply thinking and writing about this gives me butterflies in my stomach, and I don't mean good butterflies. I mean huge, freaking moths, that fly around wildly and make me feel shi**y about myself.

Also um, I'd like to hear your opinions about dating apps. It sort of feels like the supermarket of superficiality, but I have no idea how to meet people outside of these.

Well, anxiously waiting for any word of advice :bang:

#1 someguy01, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. Inky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is the source of this anxiety, specifically? I feel like this is a question you should ask yourself to better understand your own anxiety. Could it be because of meeting someone new? Could it be because of meeting someone online? Is it a "first-date anxiety" sort of situation? Do you trust this person you're meeting? There are many different reasons and to each its own approach. However, I would advise you to only venture to meet someone when you feel you're ready and comfortable with the idea. If you feel that your anxiety is getting a bit out of hand, there's no harm in expressing this to the person you're meeting with as well as potentially postponing the meet-up.

If you're sure about meeting this person and you still get anxiety as the day nears, I suggest distracting your mind away from the date of the meet-up as that could encourage more anxiety. Whenever you think of the date, try to think of it from a positive point of view. "It'll be a fun experience meeting up with him." "Who knows where it would lead?" :slight_smile:

3. someguy01

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, thanks for answering.

Basically, I feel anxious because I've kind of always been sheltered, and this is the first time I'll meet someone I've talked to online. The thing is I know him for maybe about a week or so, so I'm not really sure I feel comfortable with a meeting yet, and was kind of looking for advice on how not to stress things so much, I'll try what you mentionned.

Do you think that just doing it would help? I think it'd help for future meetings, looking back on the first experience and saying "well that went well, why should this one go badly"

4. 10chaz1926

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey, so I completely agree with the first comment made. But have you ever considered actually telling him that your nervous? That way when you do meet he'll understand you better and you won't have to put much of a facade on. To be honest the chances are he's probably feeling a similar emotion.

As for the dating app, I think it's a good thing. Yes there is something superficial about it, however if you were to think about it, when you talk their not seeing your face. They probably have one or two pictures to put a face to a name, but the rest is all personality. Personally I've never tried it, but like you I'm very introverted so when it comes to putting myself out there I do struggle.

I hope everything goes okay, good luck.

5. Inky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If this is how you genuinely feel about it, I believe so, yes. It helps for people who worry a lot to remind themselves before venturing into a new experience (such as dating) that this first experience is one of potentially many and therefore shouldn't have any implications on future experiences should it go in an unfavourable direction. This is reassuring because you realise you have nothing to lose in trying because the next time you experience it it might have a different outcome.

In short, just follow your heart. :slight_smile: I know this can be difficult, especially when anxiety is involved, but give yourself the time relax/de-stress yourself and then evaluate how you truly feel about it. There's no rush. Dating should be a fun, pleasant experience of meeting someone new. I wish you all the best :grin:

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, wait... let's first get things straightened out, here.

First off: all apps are not created equal. It's not just different collections of people looking for the same thing. In fact, depending on the app, people might be looking for ENTIRELY DIFFERENT things!

For starters, there is already a big difference between:
    a) Dating apps, where you find people to hang out with, date at a somewhat leisurely pace, and eventually decide on whether you want to try a relationship

b) Hookup apps. Which is where you find people who are interested in a night of fun (or a couple of nights of fun), without much expectation of exclusivity.
    And yes, with fun I mean sex, not boardgames :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Of course, people have found long-term love on a hookup app. And some people get laid on first date from a dating app. But... the one you describe is generally known to be more on the "hookup" side of things. If it appears like a bit of a meat market, that might just be what it's going for.

Secondly: yes, it's stressful meeting strangers you originally met on the internet.

Now, I'm not going to be all doom and gloom about it. I met both my best friend and my boyfriend off the internet. And some people I met in real life turned out to be creeps or jerks later.

But... since people can easily lie on the internet, it's generally assumed to be best to have your first meetup be in a public place, for a limited time, with a very clear goal in mind.
    So, for example: meet for coffee, from 4 to 6 PM on a specific day, just to chat and get to know each other.
    Or meeting at 7PM for a movie.
    Or... the possibilities are endless. But the common thread is: have a plan, have a day and hour, don't go to people's homes before being comfortable with in public.

I'm usually quite stressed myself, and I have learned (the hard way) that I need to have a plan. Just "hoping for the best" is nice, but especially for the first meetup with a new person, you need to be prepared.

So... tell us a bit more about this guy. When and where are you meeting? Is there a plan for what you'll be doing on that meeting? How will you get there and back? Is this his first time meeting someone too?

7. someguy01

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, thanks for all the answers.

We decided to meet much sooner than I'd thought, and assumed I should just do it and see what happens. He was pretty nice, we talked for a bit, and got intimate. Everything felt rushed, and I just couldn't enjoy it in the end.

I think I'm the type that needs some sort of emotional connection before jumping right to physical stuff.

It wasn't his first time meeting someone, we met in a public place and went to my house today.
    Finally, I couldn't really enjoy myself but it did open my eyes considering what I want. So not a terrible first experience, but not good either, everything went clearly too fast.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm like that too. I'm not really interested in intimate stuff until I get to know someone well. Nothing wrong with that, if you know ahead of time!

And, while it might not have been entirely what you wanted as a first experience, it's a bit of an uncomfortable fumbling for many people. Above all: focus on the positives! You know better what you want, now!