1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making new friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jp97, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jp97

For the past few weeks there has been a lot of conflict between my friends. I've tried to mediate and remedy the situation to no avail so I'm done with trying. I would like to expand my circle of friends or at least try. What I would like is some advice on how to go about this. I don't really have anyone in mind except for this one guy, but we have never talked. Any advice or help is welcomed.

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm sorry you've had to go through that. It's very nice of you to try and mediate, but at the end of the day it's on them. I went through something like that a few years back and I somewhat regretted not staying friends with one have of the group that split. Sometimes there's only so much you can do. If your friends ever have a problem with you hanging out with the ones they fell out with, that's petty of them because it's not your job to pick sides and it's not their job to make you.

What I can honestly say: the best friends I've made are the ones I got stuck with. By that I mean, after a year all of those friends I had went to a different school and I suddenly found myself having to make all new friends.
    But I've found that just because you may not have obvious things in common with someone or quite know how to interact with them, that doesn't mean you couldn't be great friends once you get to know them. My point is, getting to know a variety of people very different from you is a great experience, and also very possible, so don't feel like you have to confine yourself to certain types of people.

I'm not very good personally at being social with people, but start small. If you have acquaintances, or friends of friends you could start with them rather than strangers. Ask them about things you know they're doing/working on/sports they play/things they're interested in, ask how they're doing, small stuff like that. And little by little, you may get to know some different people and you never know who you might meet or who might be your best friend. So keep your options open, give yourself time.
    Good luck!

3. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm trying and online friendship site for practice. I picked someone by a book they like and said something about it and a new tv show that's similar. She answered so already going better than some of my real life attempts. I'm betting your not as socially ackward as me so just ask people about themselves, what they like ect... If you find a common interest keep talking about it. Also people like to talk about themselves so if you are really nervous, just ask questions about them that will keep them talking till you can calm down. Good luck, let us know if you find the secret to making friends.