1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best friend's devotion is hard to understand

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DreamerBoy17, Feb 18, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realized today just how lucky I am to have the best friend that I do. We'll call her N. She's unbelievably kind and accepting. We've been friends for over 3 years now. She's stuck with me, back when I was in 7th grade struggling with my sexuality, to now, with my gender. She's completely accepting with everything about me, and stands up for me in front of my somewhat less accepting friends. She's kind, funny, supportive, and pretty much everything you could ask for in a best friend.

But why?

As a person who likely has depression and anxiety, it is so, so difficult to believe that she cares about me. What could I possibly have ever done to deserve such an amazing friend? I feel inferior to her, like there's no way I could ever be a good enough friend to her. She's just sort of perfect. Her only real weakness is her lack of self-confidence. How could I ever compare to that? I feel like I'm dragging her down with all my complicated issues. I feel like she deserves better than someone as troubled as me. And even in the worst of times, when I inadvertently began pushing her along with everyone else away, she came back harder. She tried to talk to me, she invited me to do things with her, for crying out loud she invited me on vacation with her! She's devoted. But what does she see in me that I don't see?

This thread isn't really asking a specific question; I guess I'm just asking for people who can relate or help building self-esteem in general with relationships.

2. NonsenseSpeaker

Cody,
    I can't say exactly why she as good as a friend she is because I'm not her. I just can only assume. Some people like helping others, they enjoy it. Well like on empty closets we give advice to each other. Don't you feel good about helping others? You also say that she doesn't feel like you're dragging her down. Maybe she learned a lot of things from you. She especially learned about you and the journey you've been through. She may just enjoy your company of feel comfortable with you. What do you like about her as a friend. You say she's perfect, but maybe she doesn't think that way. Why don't you ask her yourself. She's not the same as me, but I wouldn't mind if a friend ask.

I can't say if I relate to your relationship you have, but I'm a person who goes through depression and anxiety. Especially since I'm Trans. My friend has her own troubles and we support each other.

I guess with my other friends they probably think I'm perfect because I'm get good grades and good at a lot of stuff. I always seem cheerful to them. But I still care about them. I'm not as open, but they still are good people and I think that they're amazing and good at things that I'm not at. I still love them as my friends and I would get upset if they got hurt.

Sorry for this random mumbo jumbo rambling because I'm not sure exactly my point to get across.