1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married, contemplating divorce? Advice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Bluesteel, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Bluesteel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to start off with a little background info first, so you can better understand my situation.

Having spent my entire life in denial I was finally able to come out as gay to myself a few months ago. Since then I have been more and more eager to come out to the world. But beyond what I've been going through. I just recently found out my wife has been going through some stuff of her own. She's kinda always had a low sex drive from what I understand. But a Month ago she was able to come out and realized she was asexual (ace). To which I was happy for her of course. But it has caused us to completely stop having sex, now I know what your probably thinking I'm gay why would I want to have sex with her anymore? To a degree I dont, but I naturally have a much higher sex drive then her. And I love being intimate with her (even though I sometimes pretend she's a guy) which makes me feel guilty afterwards. But none the less I still love and care about my wife shes my best friend, I'm just not sure if I'm in love with her anymore?

So getting to the point, under normal circumstances (if I wasn't gay) most people tell me those are legitimate grounds for divorce. And trust me I've brought up to her mutiple times throughout our relationship the lack of intimacy we have and ways we can work on it or fix it, but she is always unwilling to compromise, and now I know why. I would normally be willing to do anything to stay with her and fix our relationship because I do care about her, plus we have kids. But now that I have realized I'm gay, I'm just not sure if I want to work on "us" because I'm desiring something else. Which leaves me with guilt, because I love my family so much.

I have brought up open marriage to which she is absolutely against. So that is out of the question for me. But while I know No one can ultimately make decisions for me. I was just wondering if divorce even seems like a good decision? I want to tell her that I'm gay but I'm terrified she will out me to all of the family. And I'm just not ready to make that leap. But on the flip side if I do leave her and don't tell her, I'm going to end up blaming the divorce or her sexuality which really isn't fair to her. I don't want to do that to her. I just feel stuck at this point. Any advice will help thank you.

2. NonsenseSpeaker

I think that you should have a long talk with your wife. She explained to you that she's asexual, right? If she told you that, then she obviously trusts you. Maybe you could reflect on it yourself. Depending which age your kids are at, maybe you could discuss it to them. This must be a hard thing to deal with. Having conflict between your family and your sexuality. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your wife is there anyone else you can talk to. Sometimes it's nice to have someone else who can help you with this. Maybe you can discuss your feelings about this. You should try to have more communication with you and your family. I can't say much since I've never been in such a situation, but I hope that I could be of help.

3. crazydiamond

I think you're going to need to tell her. She was open with you, and now you should do the same for her. A divorce between a couple that still cares about each other will be hard, but it will be much easier than a messy one between two people who have grown to hate each other. If you're honest now, maybe it will never get to the point of resentment. Since you both care about each other, I don't see why you couldn't still be close while raising your kids together. Then you could live the life you want with someone who wants the same things, and she can do the same.

4. cakepiecookie

It really sounds like divorce is your only option if you want to be happy in the longterm. You couldn't be any less sexually compatible, and an open relationship is off the table, so it's really a only a question of when you decide to do it.

Why would she out you? Do you think she'd be shitty enough to do that if you asked her not to? I agree with the others that it sounds like you should talk to her. She trusted you with her stuff, so you should trust her with yours.

You know your situation best though. If you really think she'll be awful about it, it might be worth waiting.

5. Bluesteel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your replys. I think I am going to have to tell her, it's only fair to her. I just wanted to hear another opinion. I know she trusts me, and for the most part I trust her to. I really think it just comes down to me being overly fearful of coming out. But if I can man up and come out to her then I need to be prepared for a fallout if one was to happen.

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

Congratulations on coming out to yourself as gay. It takes tremendous courage to be able to accept that you are gay at midlife. I agree that divorce appears to be the right thing since you are gay, since you won't be able to live authentically as a gay man while married. It would be best to be upfront with your wife about your sexuality. This thread may be be helpful regarding things to keep in mind as you come out to your wife - http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/205538-married-gay.html#post2970194

Was your wife diagnosed as asexual by a therapist? Are you seeing an individual or couples therapist as follow up? If so, it may be helpful to engage these resources as you come out to your wife.

While it's natural to feel guilty about breaking up the family, try to look at this from the perspective that you are redefining the family structure because you are separating from your wife.

HTH

PS - I think you may want to check out the LGBT Later in Life section. There are many people who realized they are bisexual/gay at midlife (including me).

#6 SiennaFire, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  7. Bluesteel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it. My wife kinda self diagnosed herself as asexual. She had read a few articles on it, as well as taking a test. Afterwards she said it just clicked for her she knew after that. But I am going to get a therapist at least for me first. Then when I'm a little more comfortable hopefully I can come out to her with the therapist there, at least in my mind it's the best thing to do so she won't just freak out on me and walk away without me explaining my story. She'll be more apt to listen to me.

8. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    If you didn't out your wife, I doubt she'll out you. She obviously trusts you and I think it shows that you can trust her, also. Good luck!

9. HereWeGo

I just came out to my wife a couple of days ago (I'm 44), but that's another story. But already we've been researching marriage councilors and have an appointment on the books. At least at that point you have a mediator to help you both process everything.

Therapy can sound scary too if you haven't tried it, but it can really help.

10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Getting a therapist for yourself is a great first step. Hopefully you were able to find an LGBT therapist or one with LGBT experience, who can help prepare you for coming out to your wife. My guess is that your wife might bring up asexuality and the lack of sex when you come out, so you'll need to be prepared to explain to your wife that your sexuality is not caused by a lack of sex at home (though in full disclosure regular sex does reinforce denial and allows you to fool yourself that you are straight).

While asexuality is real and can be diagnosed by therapists according to accepted DSM criteria, there's also a self-help movement regarding asexuality that's not as scientifically rigorous. To complicate matters, a reduced interest in sex is often a symptom of some other underlying problem, but is often erroneously attributed to asexuality. Your wife would be better served by seeing a therapist so her situation can be professionally diagnosed if you can find a way to make that suggestion.

HTH

#10 SiennaFire, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  11. Bluesteel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you everyone for the advice it really does help. I'll do my best to explain to her it's not her fault. But to be honest the lack of sex we had/have is what probably brought to surface my buried feeling faster then normal. I'm still looking for a good LGBT therapist in my area. But I did see my regular Dr yesterday and he got me on antidepressants so at least I feel I'm starting to get my life on track.

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's why it's not your wife's fault that you are gay. Your sexual orientation was determined long before you met your wife. You were born as a Kinsey 5 bisexual; you did not choose to become gay later in life (if anybody tells you that your sexuality is a choice run away fast). Because of messages from society and other sources that being gay is bad or wrong, you were compelled to want a "normal" life and deny your sexuality. Since you were acting in response to this anti-gay conditioning, it's only natural that you would react the way that you did by denying your sexuality. Therefore don't blame yourself for your denial; you are a product of your environment. Each of us has our own timeline for discovering ourselves on the journey towards authenticity.

Having said that, you are correct that infrequent sex contributed to your coming out, but it didn't make you gay. You were already gay. Like a Michelangelo sculpture, you were already gay in the marble and infrequent sex allowed you to discover yourself. Regular sex reinforces denial and allows you to fool yourself that you are straight. I began to question my own sexuality after sex with my wife decreased.

HTH

#12 SiennaFire, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  13. Marshall1955

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So Bluesteel, what happened with the rest of your story? I came out to my wife four weeks ago, and she too has played the no relationships outside the marriage card.