1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what to do at all...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clockworkfox, Feb 19, 2016.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I started dating my current SO, a transwoman, my dad called transpeople "sick" and said they are "selfish" and "incapable of love".

And it hurt not only because he was saying these things in response to my decision to date the first person I ever really felt so deeply for, but because I myself am transgender. I just haven't been able to tell him that. :cry:

Now I feel stuck because I was ready to come out, but after comments like that I find the topic impossible to approach. I guess one option is to continue to not say anything. The problem with that approach is that nearly everyone knows by now. I just couldn't keep hiding it. I've been going to support group meetings and health conferences, networking with other trans and questioning individuals and directing them towards resources. And everything's gotten out of hand - this isn't just a conversation I've had with old, close friends or support group members. I'm out and open on my campus. I've built an entire social identity using my preferred name and pronouns. I've even reached out to trans friendly healthcare providers to schedule appointments, since I've been neglecting my health and my needs for so long. I'll be meeting with a doctor in April.

So I have to say something.

But I'm so afraid of the backlash, not just towards me, but towards my girlfriend. Things have been going well actually, and I think he's adjusted pretty well to my girlfriend, but I'm afraid that he's likely to blame her for my identity. I just can't shake the feeling that my dad is going to fight me over this, and the last person I want to bring into the middle of that emotional mess is my gf. She doesn't deserve that. :icon_sad:

I wish this issue could just resolve itself, but I really backed myself into a corner.