1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have ruined my relationship with my best friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Neymarfudk, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Neymarfudk

Hi everyone, my straight best friend(guy) of around 13 years has basically just ended our friendship because of a mistake made by me...(guy)

I was talking to his girlfriend last night and she was basically asking me who I liked and what not, and I happen to have a small crush on her boyfriend, or my best friend...

She felt really uncomfortable and was upset and now he feels really uncomfortable about this information...

As a result, after a long talk, or argument, he said that he couldn't be friends, let alone best friends, with someone who he knew liked him...

Its his birthday soon as well which I was really looking forward to but I cant go now...

I feel as though he is seriously overreacting but Im not sure what I'm going to do :icon_sad:

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sorry this has happened but I am betting your friend is going to need some time. It sucks but try and give him space and time to get over the news and try to reach out slowly in a little while.

It sucks that some people can't react to people liking them in a non-awkward way so I feel your pain. (*hug*)

3. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry that this happened, just give him some space an he might come around and you two can talk about the whole thing. It sucks when this sort of thing happens but just let him wrap his head around things and hopefully everything works out :slight_smile:
    Goodluck

4. NoClue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry to hear that, I agree with iamelmo and Linning, give him some space to cool down and gather his thoughts. Perhaps he'll come around. (&&&)

5. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds homophobic to me.

#5 Robert, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  6. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree.

If I was in a relationship with someone (regardless of the gender) and someone came and confessed they had a crush on my partner I would feel a bit put out by it and would not know how to react.

Same if a friend I am not attracted to confessed that they had a crush on me, (to my partner out of all people!) things would probably turn a little awkward.

The OP has told his best friend's GIRLFRIEND that he is has a crush on her boyfriend, she is reasonable to feel awkward about it and he is reasonable (as much as it sucks) to take his distance with the OP to appease her fears/his own awkwardness towards the OP. There is no homophobia in there. It was a bad call for the OP to confess his feelings to the GF but what is done is done and he is obviously paying the price.

I don't think we should throw the word ''homophobic'' around just because some guy feel uncomfortable about the idea of his friend having a crush on him. Most people feel uncomfortable about their friends having crush on them.

#6 Lin1, Feb 21, 2016
  7. Neymarfudk

@Linning... Reading your response has made me really understand what a mistake I made and ultimately what a dick I was in saying the things I said... I don't know why I was so naïve about saying these things, I suppose I have told them things before which I thought were more serious than this and I figured this wouldn't be that much of a problem... I was quite obviously wrong

I guess I just let him have his space and see what happens

#7 Neymarfudk, Feb 21, 2016
  8. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You definitely weren't a ''dick'' for saying the thing you said. It actually must take some guts, but it's true that admitting your feelings to someone (especially your crush's partner) can always lead to some kind of awkwardness. It's a shame and hopefully it's only temporary but I would give him a few days/weeks and try to reach out to him. :slight_smile:

Good luck though OP ! :slight_smile:

9. Inis

Ney, I think you haven't made any mistakes in open up your heart with a friend. It happens and if you two were very close, I think it could be a normal consequence being clear in talking about feelings.
    Even if you're a guy and your friend isn't a good-looking blonde girl.

But the point is I didn't get his decision.
    I mean... Did he say he doesn't want to see you anymore because of this? Because you said you're in love with him? Or he's just acting as if he needs "time" to face to this news?

I hope the things will get better, Ney. I send to you a hug.