1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't stop thinking about this guy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tri137, Feb 22, 2016.

1. tri137

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so about a month ago this guy messaged me on ******* and we started talking(Side note: i usually never get messaged first), and when i first saw that he messaged me i got a really good feeling about him and i don't know why. so we kept talking for another week and he asked if he could text me instead of using the ******* messenger, and i said yes(I never give my phone number to people before i meet them but i just had such a good feeling about him). So we start texting and flirting and sharing a lot of stuff with each other, and eventually i ask him out on a date and he accepts.

so the night of the date comes and he tells me that we should push it back by like an hour cause he needs to do some college scholarship stuff that he procrastinated on doing, so i say fine, an hour isn't that bad. eventually it gets pushed back to like 8:30(original time was 5:30) and he says he's ready to go. so i get in my car and i'm waiting for it to warm up and then he texts me right before i was going to leave saying he is really sorry but that he has to cancel because now his mom is apparently freaking out of him because he said he was going out. Now at this point i am just so mad and annoyed because i was really excited to go out with this guy(like i've never been this excited for a date before). He apologized quite a bit and said that we would find another day to go out.

So after our failed first date he starts texting me less and more infrequently, usually taking hour to respond to me. Finally one night i text him and i'm asking him when hes free so we can plan a day to go out, and he says that i'm moving to fast and that we should take it slower(i'm very confused because we didn't even go on one date yet), and i agree we can take it slower at whatever pace he is comfortable with and we say goodnight to each other. I text him the next day and i don't receive a reply back until 2 days later, and he said that he "Just doesn't have a lot of time", so i ask him if he's interested in me anymore and tell him that i like him, and he says that he's come to the realization that it's not the right time in his life for a relationship but he would be open to a friendship. So i tell him that im not interested in a friendship: 1. because i don't want anymore friends, and 2. because i couldn't be friends with him because i like him and it would pretty much just be a tease for me. And we haven't talked since(about a week now).

So now what i'm wondering is why i can't stop thinking about this guy. I've gone out with guys before and never really thought about them much after, but i never met this guy and i still can't stop thinking about him even though he's made it clear he's not interested in a relationship right now. I keep wanting to text him and ask him why he started talking to me and agreeing to go out with me if he wasn't interested in a relationship, but i know i shouldn't start talking to him again.

If anyone can offer me some insight into what i'm feeling that would be much appreciated.

2. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has happened to me on quite a number of occasions, whether it was mere infatuation with my perception of a love interest (through pictures, his way with words through texting, among other things) or the desire to be with someone. In your case, if he isn´t showing interest in you in the ways you need, don´t pursue an amorous path, as that would never work. In my humble opinion, I think you might just be slightly infatuated with the idea of being with this person, or pursuing him, than actually being infatuated WITH him.

3. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I agree with the above poster. If he doesn't want a relationship, then you should respect his opinion.

4. anon004200

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe this guy just freaked out about going on a date and backed out, but it is possible you came across too keen if you were texting him too much. It's always better to let them come to you!

Also if you never met this guy in person I wouldn't get too hung up about it. Most of the time when you meet people from online they act completely different to how you imagined and you are left feeling deflated. Its hard not to project the ideal image of your perfect guy onto any randomer from the internet.