1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dates; projecting and texting in the modern world

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mystory, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would like to get some responses from everyone on how they are with texting. Do you have the tendency to instantly respond- the compulsion to have a constant stream of communication? Or do you much rather prefer limited communication; limited texting and technology?

Some context: I have always used the rapidity, length and enthusiasm of a text as an indicator of mutual interest and an insight into someone's inner world. If they respond regularly and promptly, I go by the simple rule that they must be mutually interested in what I have to say and in me as a person. If their responses are staggered, I take this as a sign of disinterest and possibly as an affront to my character.

Yet, I have come to the realisation that this is a relatively typical characterisation of younger generations- such as those in their early to mid twenties. As I dated more people, from different age groups, I found this to be quite variable and for some to find this type of constant intimacy as being an affront to their personal schedule and space.

For example, would a person in their mid thirties, or forties- enjoy such constant messaging- sometimes the conversation bordering upon the vapid and the bland- about daily activities? Take the scenario of dating someone- so not an established or long term relationship- would you enjoy the barrage of messaging? It feels as though modern culture of instant gratification is acting as a transformative agent on the way in which people are approaching dating. In a world where apps exist for dates and relationships, the ubiquity of instant messaging appears evermore prominent. But this would be fallacious reasoning to suggest that everyone is like this- that, according to the politics of 'mind reading', that it is now suddenly unreasonable to wait a few days before receiving a reply.

Of course, all of this could be solved by asking someone directly of their interest- but this defeats the art and purpose of dating- that you never ask someone a question to which they cannot answer. How can you ask someone if they are still interested, if you have not yet provided them with anything to be interested about? Let alone foster their interest in you? I am not talking about playing games- but merely that every action and sentiment be operable- that the person can work with it and respond in some way. That the subtler route must be taken- that one must gauge interest first without asking of it directly.

For example, I have begun meeting and chatting with a guy. As irrational as this sounds, we do communicate by whatsapp and I sometimes cannot help but feel affronted when my message or question (say to plan another date) is seen, but goes on unanswered for a day or two. This behaviour was more or less evident to varying degrees since the very start- so it is difficult to understand if it is genuine disinterest, or innocuous ignorance. Nontetheless, despite Understanding that everyone has their own world that they live in, I still take it personally as a sign of waning interest- but such is difficult to gauge since everyone has their own habits and that it is impossible and wrong to expect someone to behave in a way that is contrary to their nature.

In summary, how are you with your texting habits? Do you ignore people in the faithful certainty that you WILL get around to talking to them? Or do you use your silence as a means to suggest to the other person that you are non reciprocal and not interested?

2. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm interested, I will reply as soon as I can. Sometimes I do ignore but it's only when I'm busy. Sometimes, I also have a need to be alone, not talk to people. So in that case I'll respond, but a lot later. Also, people I enjoy talking to generally get longer replies from me.
    If I don't enjoy talking to someone my replies tend to be a lot shorter, and I'll only respond 50% of the time, as well as a longer wait before I answer

While I much prefer face to face conversation, I actually enjoy long conversations over text of its with someone I enjoy being with. I like when they respond right away, and it's an actual conversation. Though most people I know don't think that way.

#2 loveislove01, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. FoxSong

It really just depends on what the other person is doing at the time - sometimes you get a message, read it and carry on with whatever you're doing. For any one of a dozen reasons, including being in company and not wanting to sit there texting away whilst you're supposed to be interacting with people in front of you. I think it's very easy to put too much emphasis on the quality/speed of someone's responses and to infuse those with your own expectations.

I have friends who I chat to on whatsapp a lot who I can 'read' by their responses i.e. whether they're busy or not at the time. If someone doesn't get round to replying, I assume they are doing something. If, however communication is consistently one-sided, then that is another issue. If it seems I'm always the person initiating conversation, I'll usually just drop it after a couple of attempts to engage the person in conversation and let the other person message me at some point if they want to talk.