1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Teacher stares at me in class

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Black Swan, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Black Swan

Perhaps an unusual thread. My English teacher bothers me, and I don't know where to begin. Firstly, during class I typically stare at the teacher with a vacant expression, trying to take it all in. But I've never had a teacher stare back, or do anything other than maintain usual eye contact. This one stares back, hard, for extended periods of time. Sometimes it makes me really uncomfortable. She does it everytime, and I sit in the front row so she has plenty of opportunity. I've seen her do it to others too, although I feel like she always comes back to me and stares at me the most (though that could be paranoia). Now, I'm not sure if this is just because she considers me a top student (and thus wants to make sure I'm catching all the details) or if there's a more sinister reason for it. Also, she gives me a really weird vibe, there's something just off about her general conduct, and for some irrational reason I sometimes feel afraid of her, although she's only ever been warm to me. I'm not the only one, I expressed this to a class mate who noted her general air of instability and who also feels uncomfortable around this teacher. I know this is pretty vague stuff, but I've never known a teacher to behave as she does and I'm unsure if I should move to the back row, or if I'm just being paranoid. I'm not going to jump the gun and assume she's a paedophile either, because that seems like quite a leap from what is, on the surface, just extended eye contact. But damn, she gives me the creeps. What should I do?

2. Distant Echo

Honestly....move seats....see what happens. This is a difficult one because looking at her students
    isn't her doing anything wrong, but if you are uncomfortable change seats. See if she continues to stare at you, or transfers her gaze to whoever is sitting where you were...
    There's nothing you can report her for, but I would advise not being alone with her if you can avoid it...just for your own piece of mind.

3. Elli

One of my teachers, who I generally don't like too much, does exactly the same. And I know what you mean, it's really kind of creepy especially because I feel like that guy never blinks, I sit in the last row though and usually I just look away and pretend to look into my book, maybe you should do the same to feel at least a bit more comfortable.

And like the poster above, I'd recommend you change seats, though I don't think it necessarily means anything if she looks at you a lot.

4. WhisperedSmile

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you're a good student, it's possible that she's speaking directly to the few kids who she knows are actually listening. I coach students after school in an academic activity, and only a few of them are receptive listeners, so I tend to switch between those folks who are taking notes or interacting. It's also easiest to focus on the students who are closest to you when you're talking at the front of the room; I tend to spend little time looking toward the back of the room, but I'm also not teaching full classes just yet. She may get stage fright if she's a new teacher. Or if she's frequently unprepared, that would explain why she gives off anxious vibes. Those are some of my thoughts based on my experience. It sounds like if other students are noting the same sort of themes, changing where you sit may make you feel better even if she doesn't change her approach.