1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

relationship advice - where to go from here

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by alex1170, Mar 1, 2016.

1. alex1170

Background: I've been in a closeted gay relationship with my boyfriend for 4 years now - living together for 2. We are both not "out" to anyone (except for me out to 2 friends who have since moved across the country), both really good at keeping secrets I suppose (and both very straight-acting, if you will). I believe we are in true love, though this is my first and only relationship, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. My boyfriend has dated quite a few others in the past (all women, he only recently started exploring his attraction towards guys). He was also my first sexual experience and my first kiss when I was 20.

Early-Relationship: I remember thinking he looked good when we first met, not amazing, but good enough for what I had planned, we met by hooking up first. The hookups continued and we realized we got along really well, I was infatuated pretty early on (I think he was too). I remember thinking he was very sexy the first time we got naked together (better than when I first saw him).

After a couple months we began our relationship - which was pretty much the same as when we were just hooking up, but now we hung out a little more and began to say "I love you". We were both still sneaking around to avoid anyone finding out what we were up to, which added a little sizzle to the sex tbh.

1-year mark: I ended up cheating on him with another guy (with his permission) after I told him I was curious what else was out there since he was the only guy I had hooked up with. I enjoyed it, but it was definitely not worth cheating. My boyfriend got upset afterwards, but ultimately we became more honest with each other and I think it really strengthened our relationship.

2-year mark: By now we had been on quite a few vacations together, and were loving life together. I was graduating college so I suggested we move in together, and we did. We were already seeing each other almost every day, so it wash't a huge change. Everything worked out pretty well and we started our new life, still very deep in love. I still had the occasional thought in my mind of what it would be like to sleep with other guys, but was content enough without acting on it.

3-year mark: I started to notice I had become slightly less attracted to my boyfriend. I'm not sure if it was due to me getting bored of seeing him naked, him slacking at the gym, or maybe just him getting a bit older, but I just didn't find him as sexy as I did when the relationship first started. It was around this point that it also started to become clear that I was the more attractive one in the relationship.

Around the same time, I started to get stronger urges to hookup with other, better looking guys. It was not that my boyfriend was not attractive, there were just *more* attractive guys I started seeing every day around town and at the gym, etc. I felt awful that I wasn't as attracted to the man I loved as I was these strangers, so I tried to spice things up in the bedroom to make up for the *gap*, which worked to some degree.

In the end, however, I decided to cheat again, this time, without my boyfriend knowing. I felt bad about it, but honestly I had a pretty good time. Again though, I'm not sure I would say it was worth cheating. But since I didn't get caught, and for some reason I didn't feel bad about it, it was more or less water under the bridge. I actually wished I didn't like it, and that I felt worse about it. It would make me more secure in my feelings that my boyfriend is the one and only guy for me.

Another thing started happening around this time. Although my boyfriend did not find out I cheated, he could tell something was bothering me. I told him I occasionally thought about other hotter guys. Since then he will always tell me I look like a supermodel, and that I can get any guy I want. I tell him he looks great too, but I can only stretch the truth so far, so he is not convinced like I am when he tells me those things. I can tell he truly does think I am the best looking guy in the world (I am convinced he actually does think this). He started often telling me to go find some better looking guy because I am so handsome and deserve better than him, which honestly may be reinforcing the thoughts about other guys.

4-year-mark: more of the same from a year before, but the feelings towards other guys (and the curiosity of what else is out there) are getting stronger still. It was even strong enough for me to download a gay dating/hookup app, which I told my boyfriend about. I told him it was just for looking, but since then I know he suspects I may have used it for something more.

The app is something we can discuss openly, and have frequently. He will go back and forth between telling me to delete it and telling me to just go do what I need to do (experiment and see what it is like with other guys using the app). I know I must be crushing his feelings, but for some reason whenever I convince myself to give up on pursuing other guys for him, the *urge* comes back.

I don't want to cheat him or myself, but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice a relationship that is otherwise full of love and happiness. I don't want to settle in my relationship, but having nothing to compare this relationship to, it is hard to know if I am settling, and if so, by how much. I feel very superficial because my boyfriend is amazing in so many ways, but he is just slightly less attractive that what fills my fantasies.

I did end up using that app I mentioned to cheat on him again recently, this time with a very attractive guy - someone I would say is probably slightly out of my league. I loved every second of it - which made me both happy and sad at the same time for obvious reasons.

the other side: Now, what I realize I have failed to tell you all is what our relationship really has going for us. I still get butterflies when I see him. The best part of every day is seeing him after work and spending my evening with him. When we touch/hug/kiss I feel like there is nowhere else I would rather be, it is like there is some magic energy flowing through our bodies when we are together. I know it sounds ultra cheesy, but its true. And this is what I imagine love is. We also have amazing sex, despite what I mentioned above (Like I said, I do still find him pretty attractive, just not top model attractive).

what next: Here is where I could use your help, what do I do next? As far as I can tell I have 4 options.

1) suppress my desires for other guys and continue to date my boyfriend which may lead to more cheating. (Ideally I have satisfied my curiosity with this last hookup and I won't need to try it again, though I feel like that is likely not the case)
    2) Break up - This would break both of our hearts, but ultimately might prevent worse heartbreak if we drag out the inevitable.
    3) open-relationship - I hinted at this once and he was very strongly against it, which I totally understand. He says I am the only person he wants, period. Man I wish I felt the same way 100% of the time. I would honestly rather suggest this again before breaking up, but idk if that would go over well. He has been saying recently that we basically have an open relationship now due to my use of the app I mentioned, and he hasn't broken up with me.
    4) take a *break* - this might be complicated since we are living together, and I don't know how much this works. Even though I have been in a relationship for 4 years, I still feel like a relationship newb with a lot of things since it is my first one.

For the record, I've tried to be as honest as possible in here with how I am truly feeling about of lot of these topics. I'm happy to elaborate if needed anywhere, but this post is pretty long to begin with. (beats the 100s of pages on my last thread though)

2. User123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think you have very little respect for your boyfriend. You should leave him if you think he isn't hot enough for you and let him find somebody less... shallow. Sorry to be so blunt.

3. alex1170

Bluntness is appreciated, thanks. And yes, I would probably call myself shallow as well reading this. Believe me, I wish I didn't feel this way. :icon_sad:

4. McFlub

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have to agree somewhat with User123. You do show little respect for your boyfriend; I can't imagine how that would feel, being on his end. However, I wouldn't call you shallow. It's perfectly normal to feel attracted to other people, but it takes self control to keep yourself from acting on them.

You need to determine what really matters to you: physical satisfaction or emotional satisfaction. If you value a great sex life over a healthy relationship, then break up with him and continue seeking to hook up with guys. If you value the relationship more, then don't break up. But if you choose this path, I feel like you need to practice self control. If you go on cheating, your boyfriend (or you) will eventually be torn apart, resulting in many possible things, most of them being bad.

I don't think these feelings and actions make you a bad or shallow person, but you have to understand that you can't continue with them, which it sounds like you do since you asked the question. I feel like that's a sign of maturity. It's great that you're able to ask for help making the right decision in this situation.

Don't take what you have for granted. Good luck c:

5. User123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    At least you are addressing it rather than sleeping around. Maybe you could show this post to your boyfriend rather than ask again for an open relationship, that way he will be fully in the picture and you can decide on how to proceed together. He seems pretty content to turn the other cheek while you weigh up your options but he might feel differently if he sees the honesty in this post here. I wish you the best of luck, whichever option you choose :slight_smile:

6. alex1170

Thanks for the replies guys, I read them but didn't have time to respond. I talked to my boyfriend about it. We very unexpectedly decided on a mutual break up where we would remain friends. At first I was sad, but then felt pretty neutral about it, I think it hadn't really hit me yet. In total it only lasted for about 5 hours, then he just caved (and I did as well). Even though it might make sense logically to break up, we are pretty madly in love with each other. So we worked out a compromise that we are going to try for the time being. He suggested every time I hook up with a guy I am interested in, but then he would get a freebie with a guy/girl whenever he wants. I'm a bit skeptical if this is going to work out, but we will see.

7. Libra71

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alex, I read your previous long post couple of years back, it made for some great holiday reading, i was totally hooked up by your story. Came to this website because i had concerns about my son and ended up fascinated by people and their stories. There were couple of times when i wanted to respond to your posts, i am finally managing now. You and your boyfriend have been lucky to find each other, to become "madly in love", to have such deep feelings and so much care for each other. Cherish this because what you've got is rare. I somewhat understood your curiosity about meeting other guys, your wonder whether other relationships are better, different. But you are now on a dangerous and slippery slop, you lost (gave up) something important: respect for your boyfriend, for the relationship and your own integrity by cheating and lying. You know this, you feel bad, you try to be responsible yet you keep making the same mistakes, keep wondering if a better guy is around the corner?! Even though you are now back together with your boyfriend, your relationship is fundamentally unhealthy, the hurt and madness will continue. What to do then? First of all, come clean to your boyfriend about what you have done, what you are thinking. no more lies and secrets. This is important irrespective if your relationship is going to survive or not. Be honest and open with him, hopefully he will do the same and you will regain some balance together. Next step is to start coming out of the damn closet !!!! You led a double life for years which now become a triple life since you are dishonest with your boyfriend too. Do you know who you are anymore, can you find the real you in all these versions of Alex?! Can you find the strength to deal with the root cause of this mess? You two have been in the closet together for so long, you've outgrown the space and stifled your relationship all together. You can break out of there, you're heart is in the right place, you are carrying, you want to change something. Can you maybe start by living authentically at last?! Good luck.

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to chime in, I would not be as harsh as to say as others that you have lost respect for your boyfriend. My take on this is that you jumped into your first relationship with someone that you have grown fond of, it has progressed over the years as any other relationship should except for one problem - you never gave yourself the change to explore. This dynamic becomes more pronounced as your relationship moves on and the excitement from your early years in the relationship wears off (which is normal to occur).

i do think it is important that we give each of ourselves the opportunity to explore with other people. Wether it be dating others or physical intimacy. I believe it is critical to each of our own personal development.

Even though you love your boyfriend based on what you have said, you have this nagging feeling of "Did I miss anything?". I do not think this feeling means you do not love your boyfriend, but I do think it means you have skipped a fundamental part of personal development and it is now catching up to you. And, no, I do not think it means your being shallow.

There is a poem/phrase that used to hang on the wall of the house I grew up in which I have come to believe in : If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, love it forever.

This really does go both ways for you and your boyfriend based on what you are writing.

Until you have had a chance to explore and see what else is out there, you may never find full satisfaction. Having a mutually agreed open relationship might be one way to do this, although I believe that is a shallow approach since your doing so in order to see what else is out there which might lead you to find something else out there better suited for you.

The brave thing, and the riskiest, is for you and your boyfriend to be intellectually honest, try and put your emotions aside, and take a break from each other so you can properly find yourself while seeing what else the world offers.

If you love him as much as you say you do, I think you will realize you have something amazing already in place and you will want him back. The risk is, he might be there when you come to that realization. But it seems to be a risk you need to take.

9. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A dear friend of mine said once that a relationship is not so much about attractions as there will always be someone else you feel is better than your current BF. A relationships is about two people who love each other (not the same thing as being in love) and have made the decision to stay together.

I would not call you shallow for cheating or wanting to explore as these feelings and urges are common. However, I do give you moral condemnation for cheating. How I see cheating is not as a special class of crime but actually a subset of a bigger crime called "contract breaking".

How would you feel about it if you and a friend invested into a mutual business your time and money under implicit 50-50 agreement. And then at one point your partner says that he buys you out for a nominal price because he found a better business partner? I see these two things equivalent and equally bad. Knowing that you are willing to break your word on someone who you love and who loves you would make me totally disinterested in doing any kinds of business with you which would require me to trust your word. Everyone honors their word when it's not expensive to them but truly honorable people honor their word even when it's expensive to them.

Perhaps you should consider talking to a therapist about your issues to gain some perspective? I don't mean that there is anything wrong in your mental health but I think talking to a therapist might help you to deal and process this thing in a constructive way. Eventually I think it is fair that you come clean to your partner about your transgressions and give him the chance to make his own decisions. If he wants to break up because of your cheating you need to give him a chance for that.

Finally, a couple of words of encouragement. I see it as a very positive thing that you yourself realize that cheating is wrong and that you are willing to do something about it. Not nearly all people have the insight and moral integrity to do that. I takes time and effort but I believe that people can change and deserve a second change if they genuinely want and try to change so I would under no circumstances call you a lost cause.

10. alex1170

Thanks for the replies everyone, really great feedback all around, every bit is appreciated. you all are giving me a lot to think about.

11. alex1170

I have an update: So I decided to tell my boyfriend about the 2 other cheating incidents. He was understandably a bit sad, but he didn't break up with me. I feel like it crushed him inside more that he shows however. He mentioned he thinks he may be losing some love for me, which is understandable. I think he is still trying to process everything really. I hope I did the right thing there. He appears to have shrugged it off a bit now, but I can tell this is putting a toll on our relationship. It is hard to read how he is really feeling to be honest, and he doesn't want to talk about it much. We both want to stay together forever, yet we both understand that if I don't address my feeling now they will likely only get stronger in the future.

In regards to what OnTheHighway posted about "if you love something, let it free" - that is a lot easier said than done, and I'm not sure either of us is ready for that based on how our very brief break up went yesterday. At least now we are on the same page entirely, so we will see how our feelings and relationship unravels from here. It is like we just ripped off a relationship band-aid, and now we are waiting to see if the cut will heal or start bleeding again. If we do break up, perhaps it will be for the best, but for now we are still together.

12. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being open and honest is a good start, and if you want any chance of your relationship to succeed, honesty and transparency is a must. Going forward, always be honest.

13. Trailblazer

As for someone that has been on the other end of it for the last two years, I can say it's not a good feeling. My relationship ended a few days ago when he said he was finally sick of how controlling I had become on knowing where he is / who he is with. But honestly I was worn out. I am down to little to no self esteem and the insecurities are overwhelming. From what I had found multiple times, while I still loved him, I just couldn't trust him at all. I should have walked away earlier but he was my first relationship and a damn good talker.

I just want to say please, if you think it's hurting him as much as a situation like this did me, just break it off. The longer it goes on he will only feel worse.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All your yearly summaries revolve around appearance and physical attraction, and it seems like that is a very serious issue for you. I'm very glad you revealed the other cheating incidents because right now you seem to have a very unequal relationship with him idolizing you.

One confounding problem you mentioned is that you live together, so you can't really "take a break" from the relationship. Also, the both of you being in the closet may have limited opportunities to fully express your relationship and love like other couples. What good does it do to you to remain in the closet?

Be honest with yourself. If you think you might be tempted again and cheat, do your boyfriend a favor and move out so he can start getting on with his own life.

15. YeahpIdk

You want to have your cake and eat his cake (I don't get the phrase "have your cake and eat it, too." This one sounds better). What's so great solely about someone's looks? Sounds like you had a great thing and ruined it, or it just wasn't for you. Perhaps try and get to the bottom of that for yourself. To admit that you're just not that into him anymore, and are just comfortable with the relationship and need to move on -- or if you have self sabotage issues.

He deserves better.

And if you are in fact 24, and he's around the same age, he's got plenty of time to find it. You've also got plenty of time to find what you're looking for in a partner. No one stays a "top model" forever, though.

16. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Alex, the others have put forth some very mature and sound pieces of advice, so I do not have much to add to the current discussion.

Nonetheless, I would like for you, when you have time, to go back to your original, long post that you started back in 2012, and read through the 35+ pages. The two of you have come a very, very long way, and it will provide insight into how you have matured over the years, your thinking patterns back then, as well as his thinking patterns as a markedly much younger man. I'd like for you to see how your relationship had changed over the years, and I believe that that thread back in 2011 or 2012 provides you with some invaluable insight into not only your own thinking, but his thinking as well.

17. alex1170

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it has all been great and I'm doing a lot of thinking and trying to digest everything.

Mystory (fitting name) - I actually just took your advice and re-read my last thread. It is very interesting seeing the development and change in both of us. We really have been though a lot together. I think one thing I noticed and tried to keep track of was the strength of our relationship as I read. It seemed like it may have been strongest somewhere in between the 2 and 3 year mark - at the time we were both very honest about how uncertain we were about the future, but that we were enjoying exploring it together. We also acknowledged honestly to one another that there may come a time where it will make sense for us to break up.

I feel like I made the mistake of slipping and not being as honest as I should have been with him from that point forward. However, I think there was a reason for this, I remember telling him at times how I felt, and seeing him (understandably) get hurt from what I was saying. I think that is probably why I stopped telling him, and inevitably why I ended up going behind his back and cheating. I didn't like seeing him get hurt because I love him, so I concealed how I really felt from him. And although I tried to suppress my curiosity as well, it got the better of me.

Current Status - Him: our relationship is sort of on eggshells at the moment. He seems to be trying to forgive me, and is flipping back and forth between a happy/lovey mood and a sad/heartbroken mood. We are still speaking and hanging out just like before, and he seems like he is just trying to get through this because he is clearly very in love with me.

Current Status - Me: I am trying to figure out what to do still. I think the biggest problem I have is that I am still trying to figure out what I want. (I will preface this by saying that I am generally terrible when it comes to making decisions - even simple decisions like what to order on a menu.) I'm trying to think about what it is that I truly want - I have one life to live and I think I owe it to myself to do exactly what I want to do with it. That being said, I honestly have no idea what that is. I can't tell if I want to go sleep around a bit and explore what I like, stay with my current boyfriend whom I love and can't imagine life without, or maybe even try dating someone else for a little while to see how that goes. To challenge myself I am going to try to say how much I want each of those things on a scale of 1-10 (my mathy geek side is going to make an appearance).

sleep around and explore - fluctuates between 5 and 8
    stay with current boyfriend - 9.5 (this probably fluctuates a bit too, but probably not by as much)
    try dating someone else - 4.5

ok, that was not an easy exercise. But perhaps useful. I feel like the more more I think about any one of those three things, the higher the score goes. So, for example, when I am hugging my boyfriend after a day at work, the 9.5 might jump up to 9.9. (originally I had that value set at 9.9 but then thought about this and changed it to 9.5). Did I mention how that exercise was hard yet?

The scores by themselves are interesting, but alone they don't summarize the full situation. There are interactions between the 3 categories that make actually making a decision difficult - especially when you throw in options like an open relationship. For example, having an open relationship might allow me to cash in on some of the first score, but might lower the second score. And that still doesn't even take into account my boyfriends feelings or how my own feeling will change over time. Even when I just look at my own happiness, it is not a simple function to maximize.

So that was the more logical way to look at things, I suppose another option is the old "go with your heart" option. My heart appears to change its mind every minute. It seems like the more I think about one thing, the more I think it is the right thing to do, no matter which thing it is. If I had to make a split second decision, it would definitely to be to stay with him and forget about everything else. I guess that may be easier to do in the near term than the long term though, which makes it appealing for quick decision making.

Anyways, that is me trying to constructively think about what to do with text.

Changing topics a bit here to start addressing some of the comments people have left. A couple of you brought up a very good point about how it seems like I am the being more or less idolized in the relationship. I do think that may be a problem, and it may be either contributing to, or an effect of my boyfriend lower self esteem. I'm not really sure what to do to help with that while being completely honest with him at the same time. For a while, I wasn't telling him often my thoughts on other guys which I mentioned above I think. I was still however telling him how amazing and attractive I thought he was. I felt like this was boosting his self esteem quite a bit, and I wasn't even really trying to do anything aside from keeping my thoughts on other hot guys from him.

Some people also suggested that if I think I will be tempted to cheat again, I should just break up with him. Honestly, I think I will be tempted to cheat again, and I have told him this as well. But neither of us can find it in us to break up, which I think we are taking as a sign that we should try to make it work. And I think the main basis behind trying to make it work is that if I just do my exploring and get it over with, i'll be satisfied and no longer curious which will ultimately strengthen our relationship.

Finally, I know that everything i've been mentioning is looks driven, and I can't quite explain why I have such a focus on it. I suppose I just do, and that might be part of what would get cleared up if I explored things with other guys a bit more. Maybe not, I really can't be sure. (Also, not sure if this makes that much of a difference, but i'm 24 and he is 33 now)

18. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From all your posts, my take is it seems your afraid of taking the risk and the potential consequences of breaking up. Your subconscious is telling you it's what you need. Your head is not prepared to act on it.

Time to take a chance and roll the dice. Do the transparent thing and take a break from the relationship. Then go see what else is out there. You will be doing both yourself and your boyfriend a lot of good, regardless of what the short term emotional implications are.

#18 OnTheHighway, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  19. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you considered going to see a couple's therapist together? I think you both would benefit from it, especially since you said your BF has low self-esteem.

20. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think a nine year age difference can be significant, especially this is your first relationship and he has experience (albeit with women). Also, were you a college student when you first met? If that's the case, maybe you haven't experienced full independence of being on your own like he has.

As you described, you are still figuring out what you want. Like onthehighway mentioned, taking a break doesn't mean no possibility of getting back together. Also, your three categories don't include just being single and not in any type of relationship, which would allow you time for self-reflection and understanding on what you want.

Do not stay in the relationship because this is the easiest option. You made this thread for a reason. Moreover, what does your boyfriend think? What are his limits? Try not to take him for granted as you work out your own desires.