1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a stoner

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by VampireGrin, Mar 4, 2016.

1. VampireGrin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if this is the right area to post this, but wanted to talk about it on here. I've been dating my boyfriend for almost a year now. I knew going into it that he smoked weed and it didn't really bother me. He also knew going into it that I didn't smoke and didn't want him smoking it around me. As long as it never affected our relationship I figured there was no reason for me to worry about it. He's talked about wanting to quit altogether a few times, but has never made any action to quit or even cut down. All of his friends smoke and I don't think they ever do anything sober together. He says he smokes 3x a week but I think it's a little more. He complains that it makes him lazy and eat too much. He is overweight and he's gained a good 15 pounds since we've been together. I've encouraged him to go to the gym with me, and he usually will. I just wish he was motivated to go by himself. Instead he chooses to stay home, smoke, and sit in front of the tv. Whenever I bring up that he might have an addiction or when I use the word stoner, he gets pretty defensive. So it's not an easy topic. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I find that this habit of his is starting to bother me more than I thought. Sometimes I even worry that it bothers him that I don't like smoking it (even though he says it doesn't). I want to hear some of your thoughts on stoners dating non-stoners and maybe some advice on not letting it bother me so much.

2. Distant Echo

I'm sorry but I can't give you that kind of advice. I'd be out of there. I would never have gone there in the first place...

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty clear that this is use that falls in the realm of dependence.

So basically, you have three options with the relationship: end it, keep the status quo, or set boundaries and ask for what you need.

What I can tell you is that it is likely there will be no change, or it will get worse, if nothing else happens. I can also tell you it is unlikely he is ready to change.

If it were me, I'd say, basically, 'this isn't working for me. It was a mistake to mislead you. I don't want you to quit for me, so I think the best choice is to end it.'

Honestly, ending it is probably best. Otherwise, for meaningful change to happen, he will have to give it up *and* ditch his friends, and that is unlikely. Cutting down isn't going to work, as there are almost certainly underlying issues that are fueling the behavior.

I hate to be a downer, but you deserve better.

4. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Man, such hate for pot smoking? I smoke more than 3 times a week. Granted, its not bowl after bowl or anything, but I still work a 70 hour week and haven't missed a day of work in several years if not longer.

5. ImHappy247

Out Status:
    All but family
    I think the problem is not really him but the fact that you two are just not meant to be (based ONLY in what you said, you obviously didn't say anything about the good stuff so based ONLY in the bad stuff you mentioned). Honestly your boyfriend seems like the kind of guy I'd be happy to date so if those things (laziness, smoking pot...) bother you that much (and you're perfectly entitled to feel that way) I think the best would be to end the relationship before things get ugly. But you're the one dating the guy and you obviously know him better than us so it's up to you wether the good stuff is worth the bad. Whatever you choose will be ok :slight_smile: Lots of luck!!

6. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not really about the quantity in itself but does it adversely affect other aspects of your life. OP's BF sounds like he has no other life except smoking pot and that is bad. I'm of the school of thought that believes that personal problems drive drug habit not the other way around.

To the OP, I can't really give good advice. Your BF most likely has some underlying issues that drive his drug habit. All the people who I know who have been addicted to dope had had depression and history of abuse. Once the depression and other problems were addressed they dropped the drug habit pretty quickly too. Is he by any chance unemployed?

Easiest solution for you is probably to walk away.

7. VampireGrin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the comments. He's admitted that he uses it as a crutch or an escape when he's stressed out. I told him how unattractive I find that. He got a little upset and said running and exercising works for me and that weed works for him. Then even went on to say everyone has their own way and not one way is better. So of course I spoke up and said exercise is obviously a better solution than drugs. He just quit his job 3 weeks ago because he hated it so much. He has something lined up and should be getting the offer any day now, but yeah he has been unemployed for almost a month now. I brought up a concern about if we were to move in together. I said I would never want him smoking it in our place and that it would hurt me if he ever came home from a stressful day at work and chose weed over talking to me. He listened and understood and said that wouldn't be a problem, but of course it's still a concern. Besides this and a few other small things, I think our relationship is great. I don't want to throw it away because of his marijuana use.

#7 VampireGrin, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  8. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm dating someone who smokes and smokes weed. It doesnt really matter to me and if your bf loves you i think he should listen to what you think.

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the one piece I'll give you to think about: If you truly believe the above, then you need to be prepared to accept him 100% the way he is, without expecting that there will be any level of change. Because to do anything else will be to set yourself up for failure.

From what you've described, this likely means
    -- Accepting that his only friends apparently are only interested in getting high, and that common activities seem to surround this activity. This means you'll likely not want to be around his group of friends, and he probably won't enjoy being around yours if he can't be high.
    -- Accepting someone who does not have healthy coping skills and uses weed to numb uncomfortable feelings. This generally gets worse over time.
    -- Accepting that, very likely, the promise now to never smoke in your shared home won't be honored.
    -- And accepting that, most likely, he will continue to choose weed over talking to you, because talking to you about stressful feelings means feeling them, which he's admitted he avoids.

If all of those things are OK with you, then it's a potentially workable relationship.

10. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    way I see it you got 3 options one end the relationship Teo try to work it out and 3 set some boundaries I personally would never want to date a stoner as they can become very abusive Drugs are still illegal so fake this one with precautions with approaching him if he loves you he should listen to you and go to rehab And get some help so then he can be your loving boyfriend again I wish you luck!

11. VampireGrin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciate all the feedback! You've all given me some things to think about, especially you Chip. I'm really torn right now. I just hope I make the right decision.

12. Azrael79

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cant really get addicted to weed I think he developed a habit.

13. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually not true. In the past 5 years, the largest new category of drug for people being admitted to treatment is marijuana, according to the half-dozen treatment centers I've had the opportunity to work. Drew Pinsky (Dr. Drew) has written about the difficulties of maintaining sobriety for people trying to kick serious marijuana dependency.

This appears to be because the marijuana of 2016 is far, far more potent than the marijuana of the 1980s.

Basically, anything that alters dopamine receptors has the potential to be addictive. Now... marijuana is not as addictive as opiates or cocaine or amphetamines, but for those who have a predisposition (either due to childhood, current living, or genetic factors), then the risk is severe.

My guess is that the OP's partner, as described, probably has a dependency problem. This isn't to say that everyone who smokes weed is going to have a problem, but the risk is there.

14. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Physically weed is not very addictive. There seems to be some mild physical withdrawal symptoms if you suddenly stop but the actual addiction is psychological. And that of course is the core of all addictions be it gambling, computer games or heroin.

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, that isn't true, though it was true 30 years ago. If you attend any conference on addiction, speak to any professionals managing treatment centers, or look at the rise in admissions for primary substance abuse for marijuana, the numbers have skyrocketed over the past 5-7 years. The physical withdrawal, according to the clinicians I've spoken to, certainly isn't as strong as it is to opiates, but effects can last close to 6 months, in part because the active agents in marijuana are fat soluble, unlike most of the other commonly-used street drugs.

Certainly there's a psychological component as there is with process addictions such as gambling and computer games, but here there is also a pretty severe impact on the dopamine pathway, which is directly implicated with the reward centers in the brain. There's no question that there's a physical component to addiction to marijuana... though, as I said above, it is certainly less addictive than opiates, amphetamines, or cocaine.

16. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just echoing what Chip said, marijuana isn't as addictive as some other drugs, but it is still addictive. There are some people and small organizations who try to prove the contrary, but their argument is basically about how other drugs are worse, which doesn't prove that marijuana isn't addictive or unhealthy at least to some extent.

17. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, the research on marijuana that I have read is indeed from the 80s. It is also true that the potency of marijuana has increased considerably since then. However, I don't really see how what I have written disagrees with what you just said. I'm not saying that marijuana isn't addictive but that the physical dependence it creates is not very strong in absolute sense unless you are a heavy user and even in that case the physical dependence it creates is comparatively small.

My point is that it's misleading to look at only the physical dependency as the standard for addictivity and harmfulness. I know people who are habitual marijuana users and then some who are occasional users. From my experience the habitual users are those who had some underlying psychological or social problems to begin with. That for these people the drug is an escape from the real world and its problems rather than them being physical slaves to marijuana who ruined their otherwise impeccable lives. I would not be surprised if those are the people who you find in the addiction treatment facilities as well.

18. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, in the interest of trying to not go too far off-topic in this thread, I'll keep this brief

-- The physical dependence that current varieties of marijuana create can, indeed, be quite strong. There are withdrawal symptoms, and major adaptive changes to the neurotransmission systems caused by chronic marijuana use that can take months to reaccommodate for. This isn't remotely controversial info; it's acknowledged by pretty much everyone in the chemical dependency treatment field. The physical withdrawal symptoms are somewhat different than they are with, say, opiates, but that's a function of how the drug interacts with the neurotransmitters. Nonetheless, there's a distinct physical dependency created in chronic users.

-- The psychological dependency is an issue, as it is with every recreational drug used, including alcohol. More importantly, nearly all forms of addiction arise from acombination of biological, social, and psychological factors, so it's largely irrelevant to try to separate them. It is true, with all addictions, that an overwhelming majority of those suffering with chemical dependency have psychological issues that contribute to the addiction.

In this case, it doesn't matter if the OP's boyfriend has a dependency problem because of psychological issues or because of physical neurotransmitter imbalance issues, or a combination of both; the point is, it appears to be a pretty serious chemical dependency on marijuana that is impacting his quality of life and, almost certainly, will impact the OP's relationship with him.