1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was I rejected? NEVER drinking again!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by yellow2002, Mar 9, 2016.

1. yellow2002

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    hey all...some of you know the back story of my friend and my inability to function like a normal human in her presence because of my stupid infatuation with her (excuse the teenage angst of this post).

Well, turns out that whiskey and tequila can do a number on ones confidence.

I outed myself to said friend in the middle of a bar, very loudly, and then proceeded to neck her.

I have no memory of this and it happened two weeks ago, but she brought it up when we were alone to ask me about how i sexually identify.

it was a super casual conversation and she quickly stated that i kissed her face and neck and then asked about my sexual orientation.

i was honest and said i didn't label my sexuality, but i was open to anyone i felt connected to.

we moved on to other conversation and i later asked if anything else happened that night and she said no.

i will say that i'm relieved she knows i'm into women, but she didn't say anything else after that. no "do you like me?" or "what did the kissing mean?" nothing.

it's so frustrating because i don't know what she's thinking and i should've asked:bang:

was that rejection? is she not interested and didn't want to ask any other questions?

i feel so awkward! :icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf

2. idsm

It doesn´t necessarily sound like you got rejected. You just didn´t address the situation, didn´t touch the subject. Perhaps she thinks that you are just confused and experimenting? Maybe she is shy herself and expects you to be more straightforward (she is younger, isn´t she)? Has her behaviour changed since then?

If it comes up again (and do try to bring it up) try to joke about how alcohol brings down inhibitions and reveals our true self.

I do remember your story, but went back to your older posts to double check. I still believe that she is suspiciously too close for a friend.

#2 idsm, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  3. yellow2002

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I spoke very confidently about my sexuality so i don't think she thinks I'm experimenting. She is younger and has expressed her intimidation/shyness when it comes to women (though she's well liked and known)... But I talk about being really guarded and reserved... She's very conscious of my guard

4. idsm

One of you has to woman up and take the lead, I suppose.

You didn´t tell how is she is acting around you, though. Do you feel she has come any closer to you?

5. yellow2002

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    we've been very busy, so we haven't seen each other much over the last couple of weeks. our interactions (including the day after this night) have been positive. she still hugs me and we exchange looks, etc...our mutual friends have been more vocal about us having a connection... it's weird.

she seemed a little guarded during the discussion though, but i honestly just could not read her expression. she was sort of blank faced but then teased me a little about it.

I can't even understand it.

personally, i don't understand how she seemed so casual about it. if my friend kissed all over me, i'd have one of two reactions: i'm uncomfortable or i liked it. she didn't even seem phased by it. she was more concerned about my sexual identity.

it was strange.

6. idsm

Hey yellow!

There is a third possible reaction: to totally freeze, scared to even bat an eyelash.

Any updates?

7. yellow2002

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have just concluded that my friend doesn't like me.

the other night she invited me to a concert along with another couple. then last minute another friend joined. she was being super sweet and walking with me and i kinda snuggled into her arm while the band played, but the end of the night she pretty much abandoned me with our mutual friend and didn't even say goodnight. i tried to ask her if she wanted to hang out and she said she'll "let me know" and then i didn't hear from her all day and at the very last minute (i mean the end of the day) she text to let me know she couldn't, rainchecked me, and wished me a goodnight...

we haven't talked since. i've seen her a few times and literally just spoke to mutual friends, but not her. she didn't even notice, i don't think. it's just so awkward.

i'm kinda sad to lose her friendship really, but it's been days and we haven't communicated. i think i'm just going to focus on other things. i'm already dealing with a lot and this... whatever this is, it's stressful.

8. confusedbubble

Sounds like you need some space from your crush, try to keep yourself busy I wouldn't push it any further she's made herself clear that she's not interested. I feel sorry for you but I wouldn't contact her again its hard

9. idsm

I´m so sorry to hear that. I didn´t see it coming at all. I hate it when this happens. People being all over you and then backing down...

Oh, well. Time for something new..

10. yellow2002

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    *update*

sooo... my friend and i had a conversation and i'm not sure what happened, but she told me she was confused by my drunken behavior and that she thought i did remember and didn't want to talk about what happened. i swore up and down i didn't and she stressed she could remember everything vividly and it blurred a lot of lines.

then she told me has always been confused about her feelings and mine and that she really loved that i made her a better person... but she had fucked up a previous friendship by following her feelings and didn't want to ruin our connection. she kept asking me to state we were platonic and then declared we would be platonic when i didn't say anything. i didn't really understand that 'cause we're not.

she told me she was pulling away to protect herself and didn't mean to hurt me, but she didn't know what to do with all her feelings.

so i guess we're just friends?

i will never understand, but i guess i accept :rolle:

granted, she seemed really scared to talk to me and sort of admitted we were both on each other that night... but then seemed like it was great that we were going down this platonic path...i'm so confused!

11. YeahpIdk

This is one of a few things:

She's one of those annoying chicks that wants you to be best friends and then lovers, which never works once one or both people start to get feelings, so will try to stretch your friendship out and see how far you can last. Will you make it to the end? No one knows! (lol, alright)

She isn't interested and is giving all of these excuses, saying she's reserved, making it seem like she's got trust issues, because in actuality, she just likes to flirt with people and never take it any further.

She's confused, but not confused enough to take things further because it's not her thing.

She's confused, scared, wants to, but won't allow it (this is rarely it, feelings usually trump being scared when you really like someone).

She's not into it period and is letting you down "easily."

"Fucked up a previous friendship by following her feelings." BIG RED FLAG. What the heck does that even mean? From someone who has dealt with a person like this, and is almost slightly convinced you're dealing with that exact person just because it sounds so similar, I would really take that to heart. It might sound endearing and innocent and honest, but that's a loaded statement. What was "following" her feelings? If this person has been making you feel like they're into you, which I believe is what you were originally posting about and you were afraid to go indulge in it (if not, ignore that), but now that you've made it apparent that you like them they're backing away, they're most likely one of those people who F*** with people's heads. RUUUN. Because this is probably the thing that fucked up the relationship with her last friend. Following her feelings of being attracted, but too confused to do anything.

Just get some space between you two. She's not on the same page.

#11 YeahpIdk, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  12. yellow2002

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The friendship was with a girl who was "straight" that she had a lot of feelings for. the girl wasn't ready to be out, but wanted to hook up with her and she convinced herself that she could be the one for the girl, so she kept doing whatever she wanted hoping she'd fall in love with her, but the girl just wanted to hook up. her friend would tell her she loved her and wasn't ready, but wanted her, and all this other stuff and she kept trying to stop blurring physical boundaries, but kept loving the girl and felt connected to her... it was a big emotional mess.

my friend is a hopeless romantic and she has been honest with me about not being able to connect deeply with people easily. she has a lot of friends and people in her life, but says when she connects really deeply, it's either with a sibling or a girlfriend.

to be fair, i sort of told her friendship meant so much to me and i didn't want to lose that (but i meant us just falling apart in general) but when she said she had feelings for me (!) I wanted to say well great, lets love each other, but then she goes into this thing about not knowing how to handle her feelings and talking to a mentor about it and not knowing if she could talk to me because i'm guarded...

i think i fucked up this conversation. i should have just told her that i wanted to be with her. that i wasn't like the other woman she was talking about, that i wasn't "confused" and if she wanted me, then be with me... but i didn't because i'm an idiot. she mentioned that the drunk night made every other time we were affection sober that much more apparently sexual/romantic (like confirmed what she thought was happening), but then she talked about other random stuff... i don't know.

I guess I should just stay away from her...

13. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow sounds like you're kinda stuck in this...

Sure it could be better for you to just keep yourself away from her, so she can't confuse you more or even hurt your feelings. Even when she admits her feelings for you, you can't be sure that she will give in to 'em...maybe she isn't ready to be more than friends and is too scared and confused to get engaged with it deeper.

Well, there was this one girl (good friend, "straight") and I developed feelings for. She never really admitted that she had feelings for me too, but we hung out a lot, kissed, couldn't stay away from each other, she got jealous when I got too close with other girls, etc. But when I brought up the subject "feelings" she backed out and got distant...then everything went back to normal, then again we got closer, she backed out. Long story short: all this back and forth ended in confusion, getting distant...and my feelings got hurt.
    So from my experience it's kinda a red flag when someone is not sure about the own feelings (and sexuality) and you should get out before it's too late.

But on the other hand I'm an optimistic and in your situation she at least admitted her feelings, so there is hope. I would try to talk to her again :slight_smile:
    When you have the impression that you've fucked up the last conversation, it's never too late to have another one and tell her everything you want to let let her know :wink:
    Give it a shot and if it is going nowhere after some time, you still can stay away. But at least I'd give it one more try.

14. YeahpIdk

Alright. These are my thoughts:

I still think it's weird and a red flag that she's bringing this incidence up. It's very honest, but it is ridiculous to compare situations, and is usually still an excuse to not get close for whatever reason. I've had bad relationships, everyone has at some point, but it doesn't make me not want to be with someone I'm into. Hell, I was "straight" and fell for a girl and was willing to date her! The same goes for you. You just started questioning and coming to terms with your sexuality; you're wanting and ready to give yourself to her because you like her so much, and are so attracted to her, that even though you've never been with a woman before, you're willing to because of how much YOU. LIKE. HER. Right?? Unless that's incorrect. Don't you think you're in a scarier situation than she is? A (can't remember) potentially out lesbian/bi girl who's had feelings for women before as opposed to someone who always thought they were straight and hasn't dated anyone yet? It doesn't make a ton of sense.

And listen to what she said to you. That she loved this "straight" friend so much that she kept doing whatever she could to make her fall in love with her. So she tortured herself in a relationship with a "straight" person for who knows how long, but she can't even see where you two could go? I mean, she could be really hurt, and really confused, but I would seriously challenge that logic. Unfortunately, she may be giving you a round-about way of saying that she's not interested without a shred of honesty. If anything, her feelings are definitely lukewarm. Want to know how to tell? Measure yours and how you've been feeling/acting by her and how she acts.

I totally agree with all of this ^^^^

Now, for my optimistic view.

She did mentioned she has some feelings for you. This is great, but is it enough? I would back off her for awhile. Not for her, for you, and see what happens. She knows you like her, you know she might potentially like you -- even if she's skimming the "like" surface and may be playing games, even inadvertently -- so it's out there. What you should do now is see what these feelings really are, and a way you can do that is by playing a little hard to get. Not in a childish way, but don't be so available to her anymore. There's nothing like knowing someone likes you (when you sort of fancy them to) and just letting it float in the air for a bit. Be there as a friend, talk to her if she wants to, even go so far as to (only if this comes up) offer an ear if she ever wants to talk - but leave it at that. Be busy, even if you're not so busy. If she starts wanting to be around you more, you'll know.

You should really try to distance your feelings in the mean time. I'm not sure if that's even doable, but you can try!

Also keep in mind I barely know what I'm talking about. It's just advice. :slight_smile:(*hug*)

#14 YeahpIdk, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  15. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That sounds like a good plan to me! Maybe it's a way to handle it for the moment.

16. yellow2002

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks y'all.

I understand what y'all are saying. i do love her as a friend and she loves me, tells me all the time, and we are both in this really awkward place in our relationship. i think we both need time to make sure it's really something worth pursuing. we're both in vulnerable places in our lives (me just coming to terms with my own identity, her just ending a lot of loose ties with previous relationships)

we have both been honest with each other on that. at the end of the day, i have so much shit going on outside of this situation and i can't tell which way is up some days so i need to just relax, sink into this friendship and allow it to happen. i'm just excited by the potential of "us," ya know?

i'm kinda bummed tho... but i do need boundaries, which is why i need to talk to her again? we see each other often because of mutual friends and i can't take all the touching, extended eye contact, teasing, etc. i don't want to just brush her off and make her feel hurt, so i should tell her that i need physical space? i won't spend time with her one on one unless it's absolutely necessary.

i'm not sure how to go about this, clearly. i just want to figure out how to stay friends without my feelings deepening.

17. yellow2002

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Quick update

I found out she spoke with a mutual friend about me and according to that friend she's into me and is afraid I don't like her romantically... in that same conversation, she said she wanted to be single because she's sick of all the games in dating.

she won't talk to me anymore. literally, won't even look at me. i tried texting her to talk and she ignored me...

So I feel slightly annoyed since I reached out... why won't she talk to me? she literally avoids me at functions when there's mutual friends. i just pretend i don't see her because it sucks that we aren't talking to each other.

this is just another sign that she is too confusing and i need to stay away (which i have been doing). why are women so confusing!!

18. idsm

Call me crazy, but I´d still go for her.

It´s a shame wasting a mutual interest, just because of fear, ego and misunderstandings.

19. yellow2002

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i'm going to call you crazy lol

it shouldn't be this hard... i'm thinking of letting it go? i mean, she also threw away the friendship (which at the very least deserved a fighting chance).

am i being too negative?