1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Go To A PFLAG meeting?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by NicoC123, Mar 10, 2016.

1. NicoC123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I live in a smaller town. Most everybody knows everybody here. I am closeted mostly. My parents and sister know, and one friend. Coming out to my family; while not dangerous, harmful, or otherwise, did not go all that well. My family mostly ignores it. I want to go to a local PFLAG meeting, but I'm scared. I don't want to run into people I know, or involve my family at all. But i need to create a support system. I need help. I leave to college soon and am still closeted. The online forums just aren't enough anymore. What should I do?

2. robclem21

I think you should do anything that you feel like you want to do. What would be wrong with running into people you know? If they are there wouldn't that mean you they are supportive and that would be a good thing?

3. Nobo

What's PFLAG is it like a GSA?

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what happens and who attends a pflag meeting is annonymous. no one should be talking about who was there or what is said. like vegas, what happens at pflag stays at pflag.

however, you should not do anything that might put yourself at risk, i understand how small towns are. there are less than 1000 people in the town i live in so..... support networks are pretty important as no one is an island onto themselves. good luck.

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2016 at 09:58 AM ----------

PFLAG orginally stood for Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. it has evolved to a Peer to Peer support group for the full LGBT community and is now commonly referred to, just as PFLAG. personally i love going to our meetings even though i have to drive 100Kms each way.