1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my sister?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IceGalaxy, Mar 12, 2016.

1. IceGalaxy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi :slight_smile: ,

Lately I have been thinking if I want to come out to my sister. At the moment, I am 16 and my sister is 12 and I am still questioning, but I am quite confident I lie somewhere between 2 and 5 on the Kinsey scale. I haven't told my parents yet because they are pretty homophobic but my sister is much more open because she is younger and holds less of the prejudices that the older generations have. Me and my sister have a fairly open relationship and although we argue time to time we generally work together and get along fine. However, what I am worried about is that she is too young at 12 to understand how important keeping my questioning a secret is for me and thus she would end up telling my parents "for my own good". I am less worried about her ignoring and rejecting me, on the basis that she and I get along, but it is still a possibility. So has anyone else had experience in coming out to younger siblings? And at what age are children mature enough to understand sexuality?

2. Kenzi18

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have any experience with coming out to younger siblings, but coming out to someone when you're not out yet to everyone can be a big deal - one that your sister might not have the emotional/intellectual maturity to handle. You said she wasn't prejudice, which is a good thing, but I share your concerns with her nit realizing how important keeping your secret will be. she could accidentally out you or (like you said) do it on purpose for your own good. Twelve is a young age, and there's not easy solution to this, but I might wait for your sister to mature a little bit before you tell her anything. Just my opinion though - good luck!!