1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my parents ignored me, when I came out

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Justinian20, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Justinian20

I just can't believe them, they have completely ignored the facts and just kept on believing I'm straight. They ridiculed me for simply going with a film idea of two men falling in love. Saying I don't know anything about it and it's a stupid idea. They don't understand, I am Gay and I want to tell the Stories of the LGBT community in film. I want to educate the world to learn about the LGBT people. I want to do it, but they are pulling me back, making me go with plain, boring ideas. They are stunting my creativity all because they can't see that I'm gay and I'm going to show people the real stories of our community.

I just hate my parents. Rant over.

2. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you discussed it further with your parents? Such as asking why they don't believe you?
    Maybe they don't want to hear you because they have concerns that they don't know how to discuss with you. Maybe they're just experiencing a degree of shock.
    Acting in denial of what you have told them doesn't necessarily mean that they dislike it, just because they're adults doesn't mean they automatically have the skills to cope with something unexpected or unknown. As heterosexual parents (I presume) they are open to all the anti-gay propaganda out there and that may be their only knowledge on the subject, causing them to fear for the happy life they want for you.
    How are they preventing you from perusing your film goal? Is it just that they discourage you? Perhaps if you show your commitment to your cause and your film career, they will start to appreciate that you are serious about this.

3. Justinian20

Guess what happened, she is still thinking I'm not gay, she came up to me and said, "Hanging around and talking to gay men can make you think your gay." She basically has read a homophobic article and believed it's content.

4. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what does that more than "hanging around gay men"? Falling in love with them and getting into relationships.
    I had a friend who's mother told him almost exactly the same thing. She told him that his gay friends weren't even allowed to come into the street, never mind the house. It didn't stop him living a happy life as a gay man and it shouldn't stop you. For the record he gets on great with his mum now - at some point straight siblings always manage to out do you in the disappointment competition :icon_wink.
    Have you asked your parents exactly what it is that makes them think that you can't be gay? And why they don't want you to be gay?

5. Justinian20

I haven't asked them but they've been like that since last year, I came out to them then and the reaction was the same. I hate that it is the same.

6. Inis

Who knows the reason why parents try to hide the truth telling to their self that their son/doughter is gay/bisexual/trans because someone - who should be very powerful indeed! - has influenced him/her.

My dad said to me the same when I come out and the reason why it happened is because he didn't find a way to understand what I was trying to tell him.
    It was an enormous news he's still trying to swallow.
    So I can get you and what you're feeling right now.
    The hardest part of the coming out is not the coming out itself, but what happen after it, therefore you have to be vary patient and clever-headed with them.

At best the more you'll talk with them, the more understanding they'll be.

#6 Inis, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016