1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with rejection and finding love

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by beowoolf, Mar 15, 2016.

1. beowoolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even when I was living as a straight person, I've had terrible luck with dating. The last time I was attracted to someone and they liked me back was when I was 15, and I'm nearing the end of my university years.

I only fully accepted the fact that I'm attracted to women/females last September, so this is all still pretty new to me. However, I quickly became smitten with a girl and when she rejected me (among other drama), I was devastated. You could probably say I was in love (or close to it), something I'd never experienced before because, well, I'd been repressing my true sexuality, obviously.

Anyway, the thing about me is it's ridiculously rare and difficult for me to feel attracted to people. I've only been really attracted to about four people in my life (two men, two women), and only with the women have I felt the "fullness" of attraction (physical, emotional, intellectual). Moreover, the people I'm attracted to never feel the same way back and I never feel the same way towards those who are attracted to me.

Since I'm getting older, I'm starting to get this crippling fear that I'll never find anyone to date and die alone and a virgin. I've never so much as kissed or held hands with anyone, and it's really killing my self-esteem. Especially since more and more of my friends, including the late bloomers, are getting SOs. Someone please tell me I'm not alone :'(

2. idsm

You are not alone. :slight_smile:
    I am 26 already.

This shitty thing about not noticing those who like you and not being noticed by those you like happens all the freaking time. The universe is a bit of a pervert and a jerk, really.

Take a breath. Your whole life is ahead. Start socializing a little bit. Now I know that getting into the LGBT world is super frightening (I´m kind of scared, myself) but being around gay people dramatically increases the chances of meeting someone that will reciprocate your feelings. Don´t expect finding the love of your life on the first day. Things take some time to progress. You ´ll get there eventually. I will, too.

3. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately that happens in the straight world too... I went through that while trying to understand why I was finding girls attractive. I agree with idsm... get out there and meet people. When I came out to my mom as being bi she said it doubled my chances of getting a date at least...LOL. So no.. you're not alone. OMG'ddss... 26 is young! I'm only 20 and there is plenty of time to find the right person.

4. beowoolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks (*hug*). I'm 22, nearing the end of university so I feel like my window for meeting people is closing. I do go out and socialize and even meet queer people once in awhile, but I feel the queer "culture" (so to speak) doesn't really align with me. Queer people in my area tend to be quite political (and I'd rather just not be) so I do stupid awkward things like mess up people's pronouns or be ignorant of the rightful terms or even not know such-and-such feminist scholar etc. etc.

5. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    YOU ARE SO NOT ALONE. This is me. Completely me. I rarely give my heart away, and when I do, the feelings I have are ridiculously strong.

I know what you mean about the political aspects of queer culture. I'd like to bond with other gay girls over interests that aren't our sexual orientation. University isn't the absolute best place to meet people, as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I think during these years, so many of us are just starting to come out and are entering the lgbt community for the first time. It's all so new and exciting so of course we're all excited to just talk about that and nothing but that and be completely involved.

As much as it sucks to be a virgin who hasn't been kissed, with friends that are almost all way more experienced, we are still young. We really are. And while I would love to have a girlfriend and experience that closeness with someone, the time just hasn't come yet. It will. Especially as we get older, we'll start meeting women who have been out long enough to be comfortable with who they are, and things become less about "being gay" and more about sharing common interests and both being into the other person.

Have faith, because I do!

6. beowoolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh hey! You're from Canada too! (!)

Great to hear that I'm not alone <3 Yeah it's like I either fall in love or have nothing at all... And yeah, I just want that emotional connection, yenno? I really don't care about getting in anyone's pants. Making out sounds fun and all, but I just want to share my life with someone and be excited about theirs... :/

Interesting that you say university isn't the best time to meet someone and you have good points there, ie. this is still new to us so it's all we want to talk about. Makes sense actually. One of my best friends who's been out since she was like 14 has had, I unno, 4 girlfriends while I've had none and that's the kind of metrestick I compare myself to, so I feel hideously inadequate. But thinking about it, I mean, she's been running on a completely different schedule than me so it makes sense.

7. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I am! :slight_smile: I'm an Alberta girl. That's me too - I want the connection. I have a friend who has been out pretty much her whole life as well - and everyone knew before she came out that she was gay. She's completely comfortable with her sexuality and also pretty much uninvolved with lgbt groups. She's also only had one real relationship that ended about three years ago and she's been single since. She's open to meeting someone but she's not actively searching for it either.

That gives me a bit of faith that if she can be so comfortable with herself and be in no huge rush/worry to find someone, I'll be okay too. So I just try to focus on friends, family, school life, etc. and just being happy with my life in general. I think that by doing the things you love and loving yourself and your life, people will be attracted to that. And that's a great way to find someone.