1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just started dating and not sure how this is supposed to work

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lostlifeguard, Mar 16, 2016.

1. lostlifeguard

Ok, so I'm 20 years old, and just starting to actually date someone for the first time. I've had sex with plenty of people before, so I'm not inexperienced in that way, although most of the interactions I've had have involved alcohol so it's still a little foreign to me to hookup with someone sober (not the best, I know, but I'm getting better). My university has a small gay population, and it just didn't work out with anyone there, which is why I'm just starting now.

What I'm really looking for is advice on how to move forward dating this guy.

We met on ******, and have gone on two dates so far. The first we went to dinner and got coffee, and the second we went to dinner, then went to my place to watch a movie and have sex. Now we have a third date planned for tomorrow. I'm worried about being too clingy, but also we're both traveling soon, so we won't see each other again for 2 weeks. I'm only living in the area for 2.5 more months so if it's going to go somewhere I'd like to figure that out soon.

How long do people typically date before they're not scheduling dates in advance, but rather just texting casually and hanging out?

2. robclem21

I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now and we still schedule dates in advance. Haha. That could be because both of our schedules are pretty hectic so its tough to find a lot of time to go out and do things together, but its pretty much a given at this point that we will spend some time on the weekend and during the week together so I never really worry about that.

I don't think scheduling makes you clingy. Also depending on how far you are moving away, it might not be best to look for something very serious at this point. 2.5 months isn't a lot of time to build something serious and the last thing you want to do is feel trapped when you have to leave.