1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a jealous girlfriend GOOD in this case????

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by atomic dorito, Mar 17, 2016.

1. atomic dorito

Hey people! Dorito here, So I have a girlfriend, she's bisexual and she's been with a lot of guys and girls. We've dated before, but it didn't work out to well, and we're back together now. But now, she's VERY protective. she doesn't want me to have any friends that are flirty, she doesn't want me to interact at all with my ex either. (my ex and I are like best friends.) And, one of my old friends kissed me, and she found out and said she wants to rip her effing head off.... I don't really mind this, I actually think it's really hot, but what do you think? too much? also, why is she more protective now than before? anybody help please??:confused::dry::rolle:

2. tulipinacup

I think maybe because the fact that you guys broke up the first time has the effect of her being overly protective and doesn't want that to happen again. You haven't put into detail as to why you guys broke up so I'm just assuming here.

I think it's normal to be jealous and I like it too when my bf does it because it shows that he is serious about our relationship but I think it becomes problematic when there's violence involved. I'm pretty certain that an old friend gave you a friendly kiss so I don't think she should react violently about it?

Do you think she is usually like this with her exes?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jealousy isn't normal for someone who is emotionally healthy. It comes from a place of unworthiness ('I'm not good enough for you, so someone better is going to try to steal you, so I have to be jealous and controlling'). Of course, that isn't conscious. So it's really up to you. For me, it would be a huge red flag and a no-go if someone were trying to control who I can hang out with.

4. robclem21

I agree with both sides here. I do like it to a point when people get jealous and try to protect because as tulip said, it shows they care. That being said, I agree with chip that beyond a certain point it isn't healthy and likely reflects some sort of underlying emotional issue.

A question I typically ask myself is, is there a double standard? 1) Does she expect you not to see your ex while still talking to hers and seeing hers? 2) If a friend gave her a friendly kiss would she be okay with you reacting this way 3) Is she flirty with he friends? None of these make it okay to be controlling, but may help you understand a bit more where she is coming from. Whether its a moral dilemma on her part, or just mistrust and emotional issues that she needs to learn to deal with.