1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GF left me because of her gender identity struggle

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lisamari, Mar 18, 2016.

1. lisamari

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was with my gf for more than two years, in a very committed relationship, and we'd gone through so many ups and downs. We both identified as bisexual females when we started out, but she was always butch and had a very masculine gender expression which I actually liked a lot. At some point in our relationship, she started to get distant sexually and I thought maybe she was losing interest in me or worse, cheating. After a lot of fighting over my anxieties, she finally told me the truth -that she was having doubts about her gender, and was developing intimacy issues because of it. I already had some very close friends then who were trans so I was familiar with this situation and open to working it out. We were able to fix things for a while, but she really didn't want to talk about her personal issues, she just wanted to act as if they had gone away because she was very scared to acknowledge them.

Recently, all her issues came back with a vengeance, strongly triggered by the movie "The Danish Girl" because her fears of what might happen to her, and to me, if she did ever realize she was transgender, resurfaced. She asked to break up because she needed time to be alone and figure herself out, she says that trying to find herself while she was in a relationship was difficult because she was always scared of how it would affect me.

However, she still says that she loves me and wants to be with me again when she finally does sort things out in her head. It's driving me a bit nuts because I really want to believe that she'll come back after she finds herself, and I know that I'll be okay with whatever she decides. I just need her to be at peace with herself too, so she can actually talk to me.

Am I crazy for believing that we can work things out? I used to be such a non-believer in getting back together after a break up, but I feel like this is an extraordinary scenario.. It would really be helpful if some trans people could help me understand what could be going through her head right now. I know she experiences some dysphoria, and a lot of insecurities..but I've always told her that I love her no matter what, and being bisexual, I really could swing either way.. It's so difficult to let go because I'm one of only two people she's opened up to about this and I really want to be there for her, but at the same time, if she really does need space, I want to give her that too..

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they've asked for space, and the relationship is now officially ended, it might be best to treat it as any other situation for the time being, exceptional or not. If you're single, continuing to treat your ex as if you were in a relationship won't be giving them the space they've said they need. If you feel like you can be a friend and support, be one. If it's uncomfortable for you, or for them, then don't.

But in the meantime, focus on yourself - even in the event that she does want to get back together eventually, the relationship will be healthier if you've proved to yourself and your ex that your life is substantial enough to go on without them.