1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know you love or have a crush on somebody?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jellyfish Clear, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Jellyfish Clear

Hello guys
    I come with the question 'how do you know if you have a crush or are in love with someone?'
    First off is there much of a difference between being in love with someone and having a crush on them?
    I ask this because I think I have a crush/in love with a good friend of mine.
    I like her company and enjoy being around her and hearing her voice. When I heard she he had a crush my heart sunk and my mind went blank for a few seconds. I am also not the type to really get flustered at things like this.
    Are these signs of a crush and is there any more signs I should look out for?
    I did a few searches on Google but found no decent info on this stuff so I came here to ask for some opinions of people who have had experience on this subject.
    Thanks for reading and I appreciate any replies (*^_^*)

2. robclem21

You probably didn't find anything on google because there is no one single answer to your question. Everyone experiences crushes differently and same with love. They are very subjective feelings that are unique to an individual and their own emotions.

For me, a crush is when I like the idea of being with someone. When I think about them a lot and really push the idea in my head of spending more time with them and getting to know them and probably being physical with them. Love, on the other hand is much more deeper and intimate. I only know I love someone once I have really gotten to know them inside and out. I really love someone once I know I can't be without them, that I am happiest around them, and that I would do anything and everything for them.

Again, these are very loose definitions and don't even apply to every time I have loved o crushed on someone. Even myself I experience these feelings differently depending on the person. These are just my personal experiences and I think everyone else experiences them differently.

3. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I think crush is an intense feeling of admiration, the romantic/sexual way. Not too serious but an attraction.

Love is attraction plus deep understanding for your person of affection. You feel attracted to the person and you care about them. You want the best for the person.

When crush turns into love--for me--I realize that I'm crushing on the right person for reasons more legitimate than, "because I feel an attraction".

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A crush is a strong, but usually fleeting attraction for someone. Usually you build that person up to be 'perfect' in your mind and your feelings come with butterflies.

Love is the same as any kind of love. You KNOW that person inside and out and want only their happiness. it's more mature than a crush.

Personally, I believe there can sort of be a mixture of both. I had a crush on a friend (butterflies) once and also believe I was in love. To say it was not love is silly considering I knew her for 8 years, know everything about her personality, her family, her ideals, and we have shared literally every memory you can think of together...the embarrassing moments and the fights we had (but always made up afterward).

I also believe you can love someone who doesn't "love" you back, and you can just have a crush on someone who returns your affections. Two examples would be the person who knew another person for 20 years and has always been there for them. Even if the other person doesn't want to date them, it is silly to say this is somehow -not- love. Likewise, you can get in a relationship with someone you knew for a few days and still have all the butterfly feelings. it's mutual, and it might feel like love, but it isn't yet. The difference is the maturity and length of time IMO, not simply the relationship status.

#4 Creativemind, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  5. Jellyfish Clear

Thanks for the replies guys I really appreciate it (^O^)

6. CharacterStudy

A crush can be an incredibly strong feeling, but is usually when you don't know someone very well - you know a little about them and how they look and you kind of fixate on that. You fall for the idea of them, and you probably don't see their bad points.

I do not believe in love at first sight. Lust yes, crush yes. Love takes time and it takes familiarity. It involves respect, acceptance (of their bad points, everyone has some), really feeling like they are one of the best people you know. As well as finding them attractive and having a spark.