1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So confused

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Hats, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A couple of weeks ago my flatmate asked me out. I turned her down because I don't have any feelings for her. My brother thinks I'm crazy because in many ways she'd be an excellent match (and he's right: she would). He thinks I should date her anyway and the feelings will come in due course. For me, though, it seems a waste of time dating someone I'm not attracted to, and unfair on them.

The thing I don't understand is why I don't have feelings for her. I mean, you'd think that if you met someone who was a really good match, then you'd feel attracted to them, right? I've certainly had crushes on people who weren't a good match, and this is a rare occasion where I'm the one being asked out rather than the other way around. So why do I feel nothing?

2. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

Attraction don't work like "That person seems like a good partner material, I'm going to like the person from now on." It's not a conscious choice.