1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does a friend like me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Iowan1976, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Iowan1976

Okay here is the situation.

There is a guy who is kinda on the outskirts of my group of friends. He was more an acquaintance who would hang around us for the last year, an he is quickly becoming a key part of the group.

Lately I think he trying to flirt with me, but is unsure of it. Here are the details.

1. He remembers details about me...like my favorite drinks when we are out at the bar, favorite movies....etc.

2. I always feel like he is catching glimpses of me. I feel like he is watching me, but when I turn to look at him (Did I mention he is cute :slight_smile: ) He turns away quickly.

3. He laughs really hard at my jokes.

4. When I talk to him, he get kind nervous, but will not maintain eye contact with me.

5. He avoids me at times. Like I will walk up to a friend in a group and he will walk away and talk to some other friends.

6. He mimics me. Like I will fold my hands in front of me while I am standing and talking to a friend, and from a distance...talking to some other friends, he will mimic me. Or we end up taking drinks at the same time.

7. When I do talk to him one-on-one to try and get to know him better, he wants to talk about traveling to San Francisco. He asked me if I would want to go there.

8. When we sit at a table as a group, he will always want to sit on the opposite side as me.

Now, to make things a little more complicated, I know he is just ending a relationship with a girl. So I always just thought he was straight..or at the most bi-curious, and just trying to get to know me. This relationship was very serious and long time...like over three years. I know he is hurting because of things she did. I also think he has lost several of his friends because they took her side in the matter.

I do not think he knows that I am gay...I mean I do not hide it much anymore, but I do not wear it on my sleeve....Most of the friends in my circle know about me, but I live in a pretty homophobic town, so my friends do protect me, and keep my sexuality secret from others who are not in my core friend group.

What do you think? First does he like me or is he just wanting to be friend? Second, If he likes me, how do I move forward. I do not want to be a rebound date.

2. cakepiecookie

I couldn't say for sure, but it does sound like he likes you. I act exactly like that when I have a crush on someone.

Do you ever hang out with him one-on-one? Can you find an excuse to hang out sometime and see if you can get a better read on him? Or perhaps flirt with him subtly and see how he reacts? If he's not into you then he'll be oblivious, if he is then you'll probably see a reaction.

3. Iowan1976

We have had some one on one conversations, but I never really thought about pursuing him because he was in a relationship. Now that it is ending...or is over. I think I will try to talk to him one on one again.

I have also thought about asking a shared friend her thoughts about it. I mean maybe he has shared things with her.