1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Support a trans friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BandQueen, Mar 21, 2016.

1. BandQueen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend is having major issues with her gender identity lately. She wants to identify as a trans boy, the problem is her parents are totally against it and won't even let her cut her hair short. This morning she broke into tears and told me about this (of course, I got her permission to post this on here.) I was wondering how is the best way I can support her throughout this time. It kills me to see her this upset, she deserves to be happy.

#1 BandQueen, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  2. Hint

This is going to depend on whether your friend is still 'in the closet' to their parents or not.
    If he isn't, complain to his parents and stick up for him-- if he is, stick to calling him male gender pronouns (assuming this is what your friend wants) and help him sneak out of the house once in a while, maybe hang out outside of school and do 'guy' stuff with him (even though you're female, maybe make a gesture to help him feel more 'masculine').