1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship while closeted?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Phantasm123, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Phantasm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey! I need an advice for this problem of mine. Im in situation where I cant really come out. My parents are both preachers (mom christianity and dad Islam..yeah I know wtf) and have pretty high status in their communities etc. Coming out would have bad consequences to everybody. That being said i would really like to try dating guys and possibly get a relationship.
    Anyone had relationship while she/he being closeted or their partner? Can it possibly work or is the hiding just too much? What an annoying situation! >8O :bang:

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in a closeted relationship (on my end) for two years and counting. It really depends on you and anyone you're interested in dating. It's hard when relationships get serious and you can't tell anyone about them. I hate to have to say this but know your family. If there's any chance of things getting dangerous, consider waiting until you're safe to start dating—for your own safety and that of your boyfriends.

If you are committed to starting to date, it's difficult but not impossible. Be up-front with anyone you're dating about being in the closet and your reasons. Be prepared for a lot of nos. It's fair for someone who is already out not to be willing to go back into the closet. If it's possible for you to be out somewhere, that helps. My girlfriend's never really been in the closet and she doesn't like hiding. She also lives over an hour away so when I go to her place, it gives us a chance to be completely out. If you're looking for something serious, I think the most important thing is for the secret to have an expiration date. It doesn't have to be anytime soon but the rest of your life is a long time to keep someone you love a secret.

3. Phantasm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for your answer! :slight_smile: Nice to hear its not totally impossible! I was semester abroad in OC, california and there I could be out so it was awesome. Planning to move back there after I graduate!