1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting other Gays

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ANerdWhoCares, Mar 21, 2016.

1. ANerdWhoCares

This forum may or may not fit here, so move it if need be. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So, recently with a heavy heart, I made peace with being single (well... Mostly...), and out of the blue, it hit me; "why don't I have any gay friends that can understand where I'm coming from?" I'm friends with several straight, bi and lesbian girls, and a handful of straight guys, but none of them can really relate to my views on this whole ordeal of being gay, male and out at my age. I have a distant cousin who's also gay, but we have at least 8 years age difference, and an entire American state between us, not to mention he's a little odd, so I can't exactly turn to him for advice.

Point being, I want to try and connect with new people. Recently The True Colors Annual Conference occurred at the University of Connecticut (which I missed...), so are there any other mass-gatherings of LGBT people in Connecticut I could go to try and make a few friends? My school does have a GSA, before someone suggests that, and I've already been, it doesn't have much to offer. Town's too small. :bang::bang::bang:

Edit: youth groups preferably. I'm not very trusting with adults about this stuff.

#1 ANerdWhoCares, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  2. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're 16 so I wouldn't worry too much about being single right away - it will happen when it does :slight_smile:

Have you looked at Meetup groups? (Not from Connecticut so take the advice for what it's worth) Book clubs? Sports groups? LGBTQA centres in the city and their networking events?

Again, you might probably find more options when you're in college so don't fret yet. But yes, I can guess how lonely it might be at times when you're THE gay guy of your class. Was just speaking to an acquaintance and he had grown up in a similar situation and couldn't wait to reach college.

3. CameOutSwinging

Does your town or another town/bigger city that you can easily get to have some sort of center for LGBTQ people? Places like that tend to offer group meet-ups for people, and most will have specific youth groups. Good luck!