1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm confused and don't know what to do.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by britishatheart, Mar 22, 2016.

1. britishatheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay, so buckle up-- this is a doozy. So I'm currently 15, and I've been dating this guy since we were 13. We're coming up on 2 years now and everyone always tells us we're going to get married and stuff-- you know the deal, we've known each other since we were little kids, we've been best friends a long time, our families are really close, we're apparently PERFECT for each other, et cetera. And I used to think so, too. But now we've gone off to high school, and I've realized-- there are a LOT of options. And I've started crushing on other people, like this girl I know who's a senior, and she's a great friend of mine, and she's all I ever think about and I feel guilty for feeling this way when I'm dating someone else. and I love him, or at least I think I do-- I mean, I care about him, but I'm not PHYSICALLY attracted to him like I am this girl. Part of me wants to break up with him because I know he deserves better, but I don't want to hurt him, and I don't want to leave him for some girl that I have absolutely no chance with because she's way too old for me and probably doesn't even swing my way. What should I do? Are these feelings a sign I should move on? Should I break up with my boyfriend to explore? And if I do, should I tell this girl how I feel, even if it might ruin out friendship? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. HerrinDesFeuers

You shouldn't make your relationship with your boyfriend dependent on your crush on this girl.
    If you have the feeling that you don't want to be with him anymore, you should break up. But if you break up, you should do it because of (the lack of) your feelings towards him, not because of your crush. That's another topic.
    I can understand that you don't want to hurt him, but if you can't imagine a future with him (and to be honest to me you don't really sound like you could), you will only hurt him more by staying with him and pretending something that doesn't exist (anymore).

If you decide to break up with him, you are free to move on and explore, of course. But I wouldn't recommend to blurt it straight out and tell the girl about your feelings. That's never a good idea. You could try to find out if she's interested in girls in general or try to flirt with her subtle and see how she reacts. But an unexpected confession of love out of the blue just scares away most people.

3. britishatheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you for your answer-- I think that was exactly what I needed to hear. And you're right about this girl I like, too-- I definitely do NOT want to scare her off. I think I'm just going to take it slowly and see where things go-- and if they don't go anywhere, then maybe it was never meant to be.