1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just asked "straight" friendly on a date

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gleeko0, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now that I broke up with my ex, I don't have the usual movie theater hang outs we used to have. And man, I love movies. I figured out I would stay a while without it .. Until I txtd a good "straight' friend of mine, in fact, my only real friendship in this sense. He is a very touchy-feely guy, and I always felt a curiosity in him towards the same-sex.

Thing is, I asked him out to go to the movies. I guess he pretended to not get my second intentions with this invitation, but then I explicitly said " Well, just you, and me, exclusively. U alright with that?" He replied "what are you going to do to me? Split my organs ? Recruit me to Isis?" I replied back "I will do nothing that results in harm :slight_smile:".

Before asking him out, we were talking about our recent break-ups and how we should hang out with other people. When he asked me if he wouldn't be a burden to me, since I offered to pay his entry, I replied " well, I invited you, and I'm single after all haha."

I'm totally freaking out, because Im pretty sure I have his consent that this is pretty much a date haha. Not often I joked with him that I was interested in him, and from the understanding that every joke has a bit of truth...

Of course, im confident that perhaps he just wants to test out his curiosity ! If that is the case, I'm sure both of us will have fun. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? A date with a curious guy that is well aware you are out, open and comfortable with your orientation? I'm excited and a bit scared too to be honest :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know your friend and his background but I would not consider this a date based on what you have told. It sounds like he took your words as a joke and nothing more. One thing that straight guys hate is to have to second guess the gay friend's motives and that often is the reason why straight guys are not comfortable being very close friends with gays. If you make serious advances on him you might have to disappoint not to mention upset him.

Remember you are heart broken since you had a recent break up. In such situations people often feel desperate to find a replacement and often see signs that they want to see rather than what is actually going on. Are you sure this is not about this? If you want to be sure ask him straight would it be OK to make your movie night a date.

3. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with Euler, I wouldn't say that your friend has agreed on a date. If you really wanted to ask him out on a date, you should send him a text beforehand clarifying explicitly that this is a date.

4. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In both cases, I don't mind :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. If it turns out to not be a date, I will go with it. If it turns out to be a date okay then. I will try to clarify things up with him. Its all up to semantics to this point, as I don't want to be as explicit as to scare him but I will be more direct. Since I met him we have joked about this, and even a friend of ours joked that I was "packing him up" for later. He is cool about all of this.

5. CharacterStudy

Sorry, I don't think he's agreed to a date either. I mean, there might be something there, at the back of those jokes, but chances are he will be really surprised if you try something.

I would joke back like this with someone I was interested in, but also with someone I was just friendly with. To interpret you require context - maybe you've picked up on signals we can't see.

Let us know how it goes though.

6. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, let me contextualize, so you can take your conclusions haha.

take into consideration that: He is very touchy-feely with me. He hugs tight for a good while every time we meet. I absolutely love hugs, but the way he does it makes me blush and clumsy :icon_redf:icon_redf

Relevant part of the conversation, translated to the best I could.

------------------------------------------------------

Me: You left your internship? Well, everything happened at the same time with me. I left my intership, broke up with my bf, and now I have enough time for everything.

Him: Lol. Well, I am doing some mandatory internships. Broke up with my gf recently too

Me: Daaam. Well, its been like, 3 weeks that we have been on a somewhat uncertain situation. Last week we did it for good. I’m a strange person, I already feel fine about it.

Him: Well, mine ended last Saturday. We are good, but no break up is easy.

Me: Thing is go out and have fun. Specially with other people if possible ahha

Him: That I agree with. Staying depressive is not healthy.

Me: It isn’t. So, you won’t be staying depressive at home this holiday, right?

Him: If its sunny I’m gonna have a walk at the beach.

Me: That’s good! Do it!

Him: >_< . So, what about the rest?

Me: What rest?

Him: Your course, health. I wanna hear more from you, hahah

Me: Oh, well, in general, I’m feeling better. I was a little bit freaked out since I was overdoing it. So, why don’t we hang out to catch up?

Him. I do want to, but I warn I’m bankrupt hahaha.

Me: Okay.. Well, better I regret about something I have done than something I haven’t… Wanna go to the movies with me? Like, make me company?

1 min pause

Me: Well, I didn’t say that. Too late I guess

1 min pause

Me: Well, If you do want, I will pay, but only this time.

Him: Okay, I didn’t expect that. Hahaha

Me: Don’t laugh

Him: No malice hahaha. I’m just surprised at your shyness.

Me: Can’t I have my reasons to be shy?

Him: I’m joking around with you buddy. Well, its that thing… won’t I be a burden to you?

Me: How so? I’m single ahah :X. And I if I invited on those terms, there is no problem. I don’t usually do that thought.

Him: Well, okay then.

Me: Wait, really? Ookay then. Just you and me? Are you alright with that?

1 min pause

Him: Well, will you take out my organs, recruit me to isis? Turn me into a chemical weapon guinea pig or use my body to smuggle illegal stuff?

Me: Certainly none of those options, you can rest assured. I will do nothing that results in harm . Sooo, lets pick a movie

[long conversation about which movie to watch, where, and when]

---------------------------------------

#6 Gleeko0, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  7. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First point, being very touching means nothing. I got a friend who is touchy: he might touch my stomach for no good reason. He is happily married with 3 kids and he has given no indication that he would be into guys in general or me in particular.

Second point, from the conversation I don't get any gay vibes. See the discussion below with my added comments:

Him: I’m joking around with you buddy. Well, its that thing… won’t I be a burden to you?
    (= He is checking if it's really fine that you pay for the movies since he is broke.)

Me: How so? I’m single ahah (= This might be understood as reference that it's OK for you to go to a movie with an other guy and without your super jealous ex-BF) :X. And I if I invited on those terms, there is no problem. I don’t usually do that thought.

Him: Well, okay then.

Me: Wait, really? Ookay then. Just you and me? Are you alright with that?

1 min pause

Him: Well, will you take out my organs, recruit me to isis? Turn me into a chemical weapon guinea pig or use my body to smuggle illegal stuff? (= He is confused why it wouldn't be OK to invite you on those terms.)

Sorry dude but in my opinion it's all in your mind. I mean sure the evidence does not rule out your theory but it doesn't rule out my interpretation either. If this is all the evidence you got I would call him straight just because statistically it is so much more likely.

8. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I believe you are right, I will check to avoid any misunderstandings between me and him

9. CharacterStudy

Hmmmm. Comments below,

Me: Okay.. Well, better I regret about something I have done than something I haven’t… Wanna go to the movies with me? Like, make me company?

1 min pause

Me: Well, I didn’t say that. Too late I guess

1 min pause

Me: Well, If you do want, I will pay, but only this time.

Him: Okay, I didn’t expect that. Hahaha

To me that sounds like he has realised you're asking him on a date. But I cannot be sure so you need to be careful.

10. CharacterStudy

How did the date go?

11. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah. I want to hear this too. And also if you found out whose interpretation (if any) was correct.

12. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are going this weekend, supposedly. I'm quite busy with college, and he must be as well. Since I now have classes at night and him in the morning we havent seen each other physically as much. I'll see if I can meet him tomorrow and I will keep updating you guys

#12 Gleeko0, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016