1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, I kinda want to start dating..

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by analogue, Mar 30, 2016.

1. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    .. but I'm not sure how. I'm 19 and I recently figured out that I'm gay.

I was talking to a friend last night, and the conversation turned to dating. (Side note, I officially came out to her yesterday). She asked me if I had ever been on a date, to which I said no. Its just, everyone around me is either in a relationship or has recently been in one, and I've never had that experience, and it makes me sad when my friends are all talking about their partners and I can't contribute to the conversation in any way.

That's the point though. My friend pointed out to me that I've never been in a relationship because I wasn't sure what I wanted until now. But now that I know I'm interested in other girls, she suggested I could try signing up for a dating app or something. Truth is, I have considered it. I'm concerned though because it will connect to my facebook, and I'm not about everyone knowing I've signed up.

Any tips or ideas on how I can get myself out there? I'm a shy and awkward individual

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's okay, I know how you feel about the "everyone around is in a relationship/been in one." It's totally fine to have not had experience yet up to this point. But bravo on wanting to get out there, and congrats on coming out to your friend!

Anyways as for some dating advice, apart from dating apps, are there any LGBT+ groups/alliances/centers where you live? Those can be good places to meet people - not necessarily with the primary goal to date/look for someone to go out with, but even just to get to know more LGBT+ people around which might help. Some LGBT+ groups have regular meet ups too, so maybe you can think about dropping in to one of those. There are also Facebook groups for LGBT+ folks, either centered around certain areas or just for anyone internationally.

Unfortunately, as someone with little experience myself, I don't have much more to add - Internet dating could work, but it's just the factor of playing it safe when befriending someone. Anyhow - good luck, rooting for you! (*hug*)

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Internet Dating!!

4. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is an LGBT+ group at my university, although (and this surprised me) I have been told that they generally aren't accepting of everyone.. I can't exactly remember the details, but a friend of mine who'd been to some meetings wasn't impressed. I should look into what else there may be in my city.

I never even thought to check out facebook groups. I've checked out advice blogs on tumblr, but its kinda hard to meet people on there. Thanks! :icon_bigg

5. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ahh sorry to hear about the university group. Hope Facebook turns out alright and best of luck (but stay safe (*hug*)) Maybe there's one that's centered around your city or general area!

6. starwars7

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only recently come to terms with my sexuality about 2 months ago and my friend suggested the same thing to me as yours did to you, dating apps. I signed up for a few of them, I was pretty scared about the whole Facebook thing too but they don't post anything on there, well at least mine haven't. I have been on a few dates with girls off them, my advice is to take the plunge and sign up but only do so if you are ready and comfortable with it. I am actually dating a girl now who I met off an app, so these apps can be great.

Also, I agree with what others have said about LGBT groups, that can be a good way too!

Good luck :grin:

7. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone! Honestly, I feel like online dating/dating apps would be the easiest for me, because as a shy person, its hard for me to walk up to someone and start talking. I have virtually no problem speaking out online
    Also, for straight people its relatively easy to assume that everyone you're interested in is also interested in you. Its harder as a part of the LGBT+ community.

8. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Online dating is definitely an option :slight_smile:
    Personally I prefered joining an LGBT+ group in town and getting to know some people around - share your thoughts and concerns, make friends, have some people around to go to events with, etc. and of course you have the possibility to find someone to date.