1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girlfriend is depressed and I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RainbowSocks, Mar 30, 2016.

1. RainbowSocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey everyone.
    I haven’t been around for awhile, but I knew when I needed you all that you’d be here :slight_smile:
    I’ve been in a relationship with my girlfriend for almost 17 months and we’ve lived together for a year.
    She’s severely depressed. She hates herself. Calls herself “worthless” and “a stupid idiot” and says things like “I wish I could just die. I couldn’t even kill myself right.”

I thought that once we moved out of our hometown and she could stand on her own feet and had some support and a loving home that she would at least start to see that life doesn’t suck as much as she thinks. I was wrong. I was very wrong. Things have gotten so much worse and I don’t know what to do. She hates her job. While she’s been looking for another one, she isn’t having any luck. She applied at a pizza place and they didn’t call her so she says “I can’t even get a job at a pizza place. I’m so worthless.” We live in a small city and I’m sure there were 100 applicants for the job she applied to but she doesn’t see it that way. She’s planning on taking a class over the summer but she constantly says she’s going to fail or “f*ck it up.” She hates herself. When she does something tiny like drop something on the floor or spill a glass of water she punches herself as hard as she can in the leg multiple times and calls herself a “stupid f*ck up.” She got called to take a test for a company and she did well enough to be called in for a physical test but she doesn’t see the success all she sees is that she’ll “f*ck up the next round.”

I’m 11 years older than she is. I have many years of education under my belt and over 10 years with my company and she always thinks that she doesn’t deserve me and is honestly afraid to let me out of her sight because she thinks I’m not going to come back because I “deserve better.” I try as hard as I can to tell her that I want to be with her and that I love her and I try to reassure her but she doesn’t hear it. I tell her positive things about herself (all of which are true) but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. She believes the lies in her head.

She knows that this is affecting our relationship. We don’t have sex anymore. Not that we had it very often to begin with, but it’s dwindled even more. She says she’s stressed. That may be part of it but I mostly think that the depression is just taking up every aspect of her life. She refuses to go on medication. It’s her body and I’m trying to respect that but she is also refusing to go to therapy because “she’s not telling her problems to some stranger that is just going to judge her and it’s not going to help.” She also doesn’t want to spend the money. Her mother made her go to therapy when she was younger and it was not a good experience.

I know that depression isn’t something that you can just snap out of. I know that sometimes no matter how hard you try, the voices in your head telling you how worthless you are just won’t go away. I know that. I just don’t know how to help her. I’ve been trying so hard and I feel like I’m not helping. I’m so unhappy and I don’t know what to do. I miss her so much and we live together. I want to be with her but I’m not sure how much more I can take. I’m trying to hang in there. I try to keep her calm. Do things for her so she doesn’t have to because if she messes it up she’ll just yell at herself. But I feel like I’m more of her therapist than her girlfriend. I swear I’m not a bad person. I really do want to be with her. But I’m not sure how many more times I can cry myself to sleep before I have to worry about my own mental health.

Can anyone help me?

2. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. As someone dealing with depression and being on the 'helpee' side, I will do my best to help you out.

The best thing I can say is talk to her. She needs to understand that you are there for her, that you will try your hardest to understand what she is dealing with and that you won't leave her. You can start small, maybe ask her about something positive that happened in her day, or about something she enjoys doing. Ask her what is stressing her out. I know this will be difficult, especially if she is only finding the negative aspects.

If she feels comfortable with it, maybe you can ask her/she can tell you exactly what she is feeling. You said she won't see a therapist, so maybe talking through her issues/thoughts with someone she trusts will help her. If this goes well, maybe seeing a professional can help. I can promise you, and I promise her, they won't judge her. If she decides to see someone, just remember that the first person you see may not be the right person. It may take a few trials with different people, but you will find one that works and that will help her.

edit: I just remembered that there are some online resources and apps that can help with depression. One that I am currently using is mywelltrack. It has 'courses' that help you change your thought process, teaches you how to relax etc. There are also some resources on there, one that I've been using is the mood tracker (basically enter your mood, where you are and what you are doing, and that helps you identify when you feel upset/happy and gets you thinking how you can change your routines). If you or she thinks something like an online resource will help, I would definitely check into some.

I'm sorry I can't be of much more help, not even sure if this helps at all. I wish you and her well, and please take care of your mental health as well (*hug*)

#2 analogue, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  3. Elli

Sorry to hear that.

Maybe she doesn't quite understand yet how much it is affecting you? Talk to her about that and that you suffer with her (should she say something like "I know, you deserve better, you should just leave me" just look her sincerely in the eye and tell her that you would never in your entire life do that, hug her etc), and try to take little steps with her.

Praise her for everything she does well/right and like jem said, try to make her think of the positive things that happened. And try a therapy. If she has severe depressions she needs professional help and tell her how important that is to you and also that she feels well.

Good luck!

4. MS001

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you getting professional help for yourself? You have to make sure you are keeping your own head above water too.

I've been the depressed person and it was so hard to get out of. I don't know what someone I love could have done to make me seek treatment. It had to come from me. My mom is very depressed and expresses it in a very different way, she isolates and doesn't express her emotions. I have no idea how to get her to seek help.

5. RainbowSocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the support and advice everyone. We talked last night. Okay it was mostly me talking and her shrugging. I brought up therapy again and she was very much against it. I bring it up every few weeks but she is very much against going. She won't even consider it.
    Jem, I couldn't find the app that you mentioned (I have an android) but I did find a few that seemed similar to what you were talking about. I did bring it up to her. At first she said no. I asked her why and she said because she didn't want to look stupid. I told her no one would know. Who in the world could she look stupid to? And she said...you. Meaning me. I told her I would never think she is stupid and that I just needed her to try. Something. ANYTHING. She said what if it doesn't work? And I told her that we'd try something else if it didn't help. As long as she was willing to put in the effort I would help her locate anything she was willing to try. So she agreed to try it if I would do it with her. I obviously can't do the emotional log thing for her, but I told her I would listen to the audio files with her and help her do the guided meditations. So it's a start. Thank you for the suggestion.

Elli, I have been very...with holding...of my feelings toward this with her. I don't want to put the additional stress on her. But maybe you are right. So I was very clear last night as to my feelings and just how much this is affecting me. I'm not sure if it was the right thing, but I basically every other sentence told her that I wanted to be with her or that I love her and tried to make sure that she knew that even though I'm feeling this way it doesn't mean I'm ready to bolt, but just that we needed to try something to try to improve her mental health. I really can't be sure if she took it the way I meant it.

MS001, I have considered going to therapy. I don't think I'm quite at that point yet. My major problem is that I don't have a lot of friends and I have even fewer friends that know I'm gay so I don't really have anyone to vent to or to get advice from. The people that do know I'm gay aren't really people that I want to know I'm having relationship problems (My mom, niece, and brother). I really just need a friend to talk to at this point so that's where you all come in :slight_smile: I know myself pretty well and I have been depressed before so I promise you I will do everything I can to keep my head above water if the time comes.

I know there are a lot of people on here that deal with depression that stems from various reasons and I really don't want out of my relationship. I love my girlfriend very much. I want a long future with her. We've discussed getting married and buying a house and having or adopting a kid. It kills me to see her like this. It breaks my heart that she never smiles and that the only time I can get her to laugh is to tickle her (which she absolutely hates btw). She has been depressed for years. Longer than I've known her. She's never really had someone to give her the kind of support that I'm willing to. It just seems like she doesn't want it. When I ask her what's wrong, she says she doesn't know. When I ask what I can do to help, she says she doesn't know. When I ask her how she's feeling, she says her feelings don't matter and that she deserves all the bad things that happen to her. Every time she says something like that I of course tell her that opposite...that she's amazing and funny and hardworking and beautiful that she deserves good things and a big house and a big yard and a job that makes her happy and that I love her but her response every time...No I'm not. No I don't. But I keep trying. I just hope it's enough.

Thank you for your support and advice. Please continue adding if you have other suggestions. I'm all ears...or eyes in this case :slight_smile:

6. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am happy that she agreed to try out some apps/online resources. The welltrack I mentioned isn't an app, its online, but the mood tracker portion does have an app (its called MoodCheck). I will say honestly that the online thing hasn't helped me much (I cope better by talking to someone,) but everyone is different, so I hope it can help in some ways, or that you will find something that helps. If anything, it will give her and you something regular to do a couple times a day.

7. Elli

Glad to hear that she agreed to do something. I know what you mean that it's not good if she just suffers from additional stress when she realizes that you're suffering with her, but it might be something that finally shows her how important it is to try her best and put in as much effort as she can to get better.
    I don't think it was a bad idea to talk to her about it, after all at this point anything that could help might be worth a shot. And I'm sure that you were really careful, passive and loving the way you put it, I bet deep down she knows that you love her, even if she keeps saying such things.