1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating help!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IrishBuddha6, Mar 30, 2016.

1. IrishBuddha6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I recently joined an online dating thing because people here said I should try to go on some dates and I agree. I've talked to some people here and there and have been in contact with slmeone in the possibility of figuring out a time to meet up. However, I don't have my car on campus with me currently, it's not the worst thing in the world if I date someone in the city since there's public transport, but I'm graduating in May and will probably live at home and commute to work. This brings up a few issues. One issue it that I am not currently out to my parents, the solution to this is obvious, and I am a bit worried about how they'll react, but that's not even the root of the issues. The real thing is that my mom is incredibly protective, incredibly. Like, more than you think. She is especially protective about driving, has this phobia of me getting into a really bad accident. She needs to know where I am at all times, where I'm going, etc. it's like, I'm giving up my freedom once I graduate college, that's why I wanted to started dating before I graduate. The obvious answer seems to be wait till graduation, since there's only two months left, problem is that I don't know how I'll start dating after I graduate. My family would not be okay at all with me online dating if they found out, like at all. My mom is desperate for me to find a girlfriend, but she thinks that I won't find someone after college, which is why she wanted me to start dating in college. After that she'll want to set up blind dates with someone's daughter from church or whatever. Anyway, I know I'm an adult, so why do I have to limit myself. Well I'm living at home, so i have to follow my parents rules. My mom has guilted me away from moving out with it would be like throwing money away, you could have a crazy roommate, or do you not love me anymore. Of course I love my parents and realize the sacrifices they made for me and want to make them happy. I also am okay with the concept of living at home, I just feel like I won't have freedom to date, meet people, or even have a social life, I may even hate my job too!!! Like I can't just et in the car and say I'm going out, that's not how things work in my house. I want to truly be able to be myself and also be able to have freedom as I'm no longer in high school.

Any thoughts/advice?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say that the real question is simply, do you want to start seeing this person and see how it goes? If so, go for it (with all the usual precautions involved in meeting someone from online). :slight_smile: If it goes well, then the two of you can figure out how to deal with the situation of you living at home (or not, eventually) when it comes.