1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I a rebound? How to approach this if I am?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by medic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So there's a guy in my group of friends at uni who has been in a relationship for as long as I've known him (about a year.) We didn't talk a lot at all so I knew very little about him other than I thought he was very attractive and taken!

Then about a month ago he went through a breakup with his current boyfriend. I saw him a few days after at a nightclub and he was really flirty with me but I knew what was going on so resisted his approaches. I didn't really want to be his rebound (turns out he went home with someone else anyway that night.)

The same thing then happened the week after and this time I gave in. Not sure what my logic was but I guess alcohol lubricates things a bit. He came back to mine and we fumbled a bit (not much more) and we agreed it could be fun to hang out in the future.

This is where it got a bit crazy. I assumed by "hang out" he probably meant as friends, maybe with sex or something, because it was so soon since his last relationship. However he suggested meeting up in London (which is where we're both from) during the holidays with another mutual friends to explore a bit and do touristy things. After a few hours though, the mutual friend left to go home and we went to a park and chatted for a bit there just us two. It ended with us walking around London holding hands and we kissed each other goodbye.

This was a bit of a surprise. It was sort of an accidental date. I wonder if it was intentional by him. Either way I really enjoyed it and he's far more interesting than I realised. Really enjoyed spending time with him.

We met up again and did similar things just us two a few days ago and have a general plan to do it again next week.

WHAT'S HAPPENING. I am falling for him a bit. He's really interesting, a lovely guy overall and hot as hell. I want to get to know him better but this is all over a background of the end of his last relationship which lasted for a year and only finished a month ago.

It's also complicated a bit because we have so many mutual friends it all feels very public. I know he really doesn't like one of my best friends for example.

If I didn't know about the breakup I'd think everything was great but, having not been in a major breakup before I don't really know what his feelings are likely to be or how to deal with what's happening. Should I just keep going, end it, or take it really slowly (basically no more sex stuff.)

Thanks for any advice!

---------- Post added 1st Apr 2016 at 12:45 AM ----------

Oh another fun fact! He still lives with his ex. Recipe for disaster?

2. Sek

Sek

Hey medic,

You're right on the money to be cautious about moving close to someone who's just been through a breakup. Most people need time to process the loss before they can move on feeling completely resolved, even if they don't realise it. Judging from your words you seem wise so I don't think there's much I can give you that you don't have in yourself already. However if it were me, I would take things very slowly to make sure I didn't get hurt. If things do progress to a point where a relationship is a possible next step I would also need for there to be a chat about how I need to move slowly and be shown that I'm not just a rebound.

It seems like there could be hope for a relationship, if that's what you want, so follow your heart but keep your brain engaged.

All the best.
    SEK :thumbsup: