1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I found out my crush is homophobic!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheLionRoars360, Apr 1, 2016.

1. TheLionRoars360

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In school, we have to read these current events magazines for Social Studies class. One of them had an article about politics (Something about the Supreme Court, democrats, republicans, blah blah blah confusing things) that listed some famous cases (Brown vs. Board of Education, etc.) and it had a short part on the case that legalized gay marriage in all fifty states of America. Our desks are separated into groups of three, and I sit with two people, and I have a crush on one of them (They're both girls) Lets call them C for crush and F for friend. Here's what went down when we turned to the page with the small picture of a pride flag and one teeny tiny paragraph. (Note that everyone in my grade at my school is unbelievably naive and believe whatever their parents say like its the word of God)

F:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:oints to pride flag-
    Me: "So?"
    F: "(Insert teacher's name here)?"
    T (Teacher): "Yes?"
    F: "There's something inappropriate in here."
    Me: "No there isn't."
    T: -Walks over anyway and examines what F is pointing to-
    T: "Um... Yeah, well... There's nothing inappropriate or any bad language in here. It may make you uncomfortable, and you may not like it, but, uh, yeah. This isn't bad."
    F: "Oh. Okay."
    C: "Wait, F, show me what you were talking about."
    Me: "Well, we're supposed to be reading, so why don't you read it aloud, C?"
    Me: -Writes '<3 is <3' secretly above the pride flag and covers it up with arm-
    C: (Finishing reading) "...Legalized same-sex marriage in all fifty states."
    C: (Immediately after) "No!"
    Me: "What's wrong?"
    C: "My mom told me that it says in the bible that... Only a man and a woman."
    Me: "Well, there's different interpretations and views on that."
    F: "But it's, like, the word of God."
    T: "Class dismissed"

Saved by the bell.

What do I do???

2. robclem21

I don't think that necessarily makes her homophobic. A little ignorant and naive maybe, but she doesn't sound hateful. She could probably benefit from a little education and exposure.

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like she doesn't know much about LGBT+ matters. Some education on it would do the trick, but at that point she would decide on what I'm her mind is right. It's safe to say that the younger generations are more accepting of LGBT+ because they grow up being told that it's okay, whereas back then it was the complete opposite.

4. cakepiecookie

She sounds very sheltered/ignorant. Are you close to her at all? Maybe just try to talk it over and open her mind a bit if it comes up again.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it doesn't sound like she was being hateful but repeating what she has been taught. So, maybe you can give a second perspective, and in this case it might be good to point out the difference between civil marriage and religious marriage.

6. TheLionRoars360

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks guys. Here's some more info that probably confirms what you guys were saying:

Our school will kick you out if you're not straight.
    People at our school whisper the word "Gay" if they have to say it out loud.
    Almost everyone at our school is a Christian who has been told that homosexuality is wrong.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

7. UnsureGirl4405

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    FYI your school is crazy. God made us this way, so it only makes since that he loves and supports everyone.

8. TheLionRoars360

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  9. Sliemy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I understand you. Parents have such an impression on their children. :/