1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to recover from awkward interactions?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheDudeAbides11, Apr 1, 2016.

1. TheDudeAbides11

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So this guy I like approached me (several times in fact) but unfortunately I made a complete ass out of my self at each encounter. I was blatantly nervous and made several mistakes and now I'm afraid to talk to him because I made such a bad impression. He seems to still be interested, he still smiles and stares at me everyday. I would like to try talking to him again. So how do I go about not making a total fool of myself?

2. guitar

How exactly did you make a fool of yourself? If he's still smiling and showing interest clearly he doesn't care *that* much

3. TheDudeAbides11

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well I stuttered a lot, couldn't make eye contact, clumsy, and started sweating.

4. Iowan1976

I have done the same...I am wanting to here suggestions as well.

5. gryf

In this case. The guy may be flattered that you are nervous. Taking it as a compliment.
    Or. Maybe he thinks it's cute. Or he just doesn't care.

He's starting and smiling enough for you to take notice.

I figure that's a string signal the awkwardness is not being in the way.

Plan something short to say. Memorize it. Talk to him. Then watch him and concentrate on his actions. It may help.

6. cakepiecookie

I get like this around crushes too. Why do we turn into bumbling idiots around the people we want to impress the most?? It sucks!

I agree with the others though - he's probably just flattered that you seem to like him. I've had a girl be super awkward around me, and I could see she was dying inside but I just thought it was cute/flattering.

I think you just have to push through the awkwardness. Just be awkward and talk to him anyway. It sounds like he doesn't mind. Being nervous around crushes is a normal part of human existence.

7. Grounded Eagle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got so nervous around a guy I liked at work that I tripped and threw an armful of clothing into the air. Totally a romcom movie movement. The funny thing is he thought it was cute.

But seriously, as a very socially awkward, shy guy, I know what you're going through, and if he still smiles and shows interest in you, then talk to him! I know through experience that you are the only one still thinking about all these "mistakes" you're obsessing over.

8. TheDudeAbides11

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Next time I see him I'm going to push past my shyness and just talk to him.