1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joining GSA + Mom = ???

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bubbles123, Apr 3, 2016.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

So I have a pretty accepting school and whatnot, a lot of supportive friends many of whom are part of the LGBT+ community. My friend is starting a GSA at our school which I would love to be a part of. I'm just not sure if that's a good idea with my mom.

I have a feeling my mom may suspect I'm not straight, but is in denial about it, but then again I'm not sure. I think she's just worried. She's not super homophobic, but I think she'd have a hard time with it for sure.
    I don't really care if she has suspicions at this point, I just don't want to come out yet because I'm still questioning and I think that would add a lot of pressure for me that I don't want yet.
    I'm just worried how she'll feel. On top of her other possible suspicions, I worry me joining GSA will be like the nail in the coffin and she'll really be worried and maybe try to ask me or just be really anxious about it.

Any advice?
    I was thinking of saying it's because my other friends are in it and it would look good for college too. Any ideas of what else I could do? (I'd have to stay after school every week for it so I couldn't hide it very well)

2. TheLionRoars360

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If I were you, I would bring up the school's GSA and give a reason why I need to support it or join it. If you're not doing any extracurricular activities right now, maybe you could tell her you just wanted something to do after school or need credits. Or, maybe, if you know any LGBT kids at school, you could tell her they asked you to join. You don't need to tell her anything you don't want to - YOU come out when YOU'RE ready.

3. David21201

As my GSAs president, honestly, I'd go for the club and uf she questions you explain that its Gay STRAIGHT Alliance. That is if you aren't ready to come out. My mother works at my high school and knows I'm pansexual, but not my gender and thus far I am still open yet closeted. I would love to stress the fact that GSA is supposed to be a safe space, which does allow you to remain anonymous.

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Thank you for your replies guys! That makes me feel better about it and I think I'm going to join now! So excited:slight_smile:

5. UnsureGirl4405

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People seem to forget that the word STRAIGHT is in there too.