1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to have a mature conversation with my mom about stuff?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bubbles123, Apr 5, 2016.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

So I'm 17 and my mother is very protective, which is reasonable and I'm thankful for that. But she's also what one might call a helicopter parent.
    She still checks my online grades and schedule every day and feels the need to tell me about every little thing wrong she sees: Why is there a zero for this? Make sure you're using your study halls. Now would be a good time to get ahead on homework, you have that assignment due tomorrow.

I know I'm not perfect at those things all the time, but I try to ask her to let go a bit and she complains that I'm not good at these things so she still has to. I may not be perfect but I feel I can't get better at those things if she doesn't back off. And it's not like I'm totally responsible either. I feel like I use her nagging as a crutch though. When I go to college I can't rely on the stress of my mom finding things out to be responsible.

I want her to loosen up a bit and I'd like to have a mature conversation with her about it, but I don't know how. We don't ever really talk about things so I'm not sure how to approach it without it sounding like I'm accusing her of being a bad mother. Any advice?
    Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. killswitch0029

Speaking to a guidance counselor could help out. He/she could set up a meeting with the three of you where you could speak to your mom and have some support from another adult. Given the nature of "helicopter parents" trying to deal with one yourself as a teenager could be an almost impossible task.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Thanks for the advice!

4. CharacterStudy

When dealing with a boss who is like this the usual advice is to ask for small bits of responsibility - 'look, how about you don't remind me about x project, and we'll see how I do?' start small - and then build up to more autonomy for you whilst your mum/boss feels more comfortable. Baby steps...