1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found out my crush has a crush on me!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by kate92, Apr 11, 2016.

1. kate92

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi all!

It's great to have a place to come and chat/get opinions!

My story in a nutshell: I'm a 24 year old very-much-unfortunately-still-closeted lesbian. Literally no one knows I'm gay and based on my appearance it wouldn't be particularly obvious, either.

I've had a crush for about 6 years (!!!) on a particular girl who's a couple of years older than me. We are both performers and trained at the same school but her being a bit older, we were never in the same acting classes or anything (sadly). I'd say we're half-way between acquaintances and friends... if that makes sense.

Now to the exciting part!!

A mutual friend told me a few weeks ago that she told him she has a crush on me! This caused me so much angst (mixture of excitement/elation and sadness about not being out) that I lost 5kgs in under 2 weeks (I am petite as is!). It has been playing on my mind ever since my friend told me she liked me.

Then I went to see her in a show on the weekend and we had a good 15/20 min chat afterwards (just talking about performing, our families etc) which was really nice. I wouldn't say it was overly flirty on either end. When we left, I kind of hoped she would say let's hang out again or I enjoyed getting to know you/your company.... but it was a very 'friend'-like goodbye. Something to the effect of 'look after yourself' or 'keep on keepin' on' haha.

I would love to get people's advice.... do you think this 'crush' thing was an off-the-cuff comment made by her? And she didn't enjoy my company that much and was turned off for some/any reason? Or do you think she's just playing it really cool/trying to work me out first/thinks I'm straight and doesn't want to make me uncomfortable?

Love to hear back from anyone with any advice!! I really like this girl a lot so I hope I see her again soon!

Thank you :grin:

Kate x

2. brians34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Kate, welcome to EC.

You say,

You were hoping that she would say that, she might have been hoping you would say that. Maybe you could be the icebreaker and say something as simple as hey, think you might want to hang out sometime. See where it goes.

3. kate92

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey Brian,

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome :slight_smile:!

You make a good point. And you know what, I actually sent her a message a couple of hours after leaving saying congratulations on the show again and that she was awesome, and she said I'm very sweet and thank you... but that was it. I guess I assumed that she would be the one to make any kind of move because she's not closeted...

Do you think there's a chance she's lost interest?

#3 kate92, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  4. brians34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Like I say, I would just write her and say, "Hey, would you like to hang out some time?" If she asks why or anything else that makes you feel uncomfortable, just say something like talk about acting and anything else that might be going on.

You think she may be thinking you're straight, she may not feel comfortable bringing up hanging with you thinking you're straight. If you bring it up, that might be all she needs to loosen up.

5. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Brian.

She probably doesn't think she has a chance, so give her a reason to think she does :wink:
    Asking for a hangout is a great start.

6. A Mindful Wolf

Oh my god! I sooooo relate! I recently lost my appetite after my crush spoke to me for the first time, then invited me to hang out...I thought I was developing anorexia or something...glad to know I'm not the only emotional trainwreck out there :slight_smile:

7. kate92

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Alright I will somehow try and muster up the courage to do that! Here's hoping! I guess part of me just wanted it to be easy for me to be able to sit back and let her take the lead. But I suppose that isn't going to happen.

I could also wait until the next time I see her but then that could be in a couple of months...

Thanks for your advice (and yours too Rainbow Green!)

:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Apr 2016 at 02:57 PM ----------

Glad I'm not the only one too :slight_smile:
    On my end I think it's a repercussion of my anxiety. Do you suffer from anxiety perhaps? Crazy to think that other people can have this massive effect on us

8. Dobby

Out Status:
    A few people
    woop this is brilliant news!!!

it will probably be impossible to work out her true motivations without asking her, but i'd say take a risk and go for it if you do really want it to go anywhere, because who knows where it could lead?!!

i i think her "keep on keeping'" reaction was because she has feelings for you?!! when i fell hard for someone it was totally inappropriate to have a relationship with, my natural reaction was to be as "clinical" as i could when speaking with them/keep myself level. so maybe she was doing the same?

and yes i agree, if she has no idea you are a lesbian then she might not want to approach you about her feelings/scare you off?

if you want to pursue then...do it! i was trying to think of what i'd do and came up with a few options (disclaimer: my dating history is appalling...) ,

the bold options:
    approach her and just say you like her? but leave it open and non ultimate/pressurised
    maybe you could take a risk and come out to her and just see what happens?

the food way:
    don't know how well you know her, but could you buy her fave muffin or something? (this is the option which would work for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

or if that's too much maybe just drop a big stereotypical hint like mentioning the L word or something?

or maybe try and catch her eye and just keep holding that eye contact..?

or probs the sensible option; just find ways to spend more time with her and see what develops?

good luck!!

9. confusedbubble

You said you sent her a message so do you have her number? Maybe send her a message asking her to grab a bite to eat tell her you need to ask her advice.

You say she's out? so maybe whilst grabbing the bite to eat (and if your ready to come out to her) ask her how she came out tell her that you're closeted and wondering how she came out because you're unsure how to come out yourself but need to tell someone.

By doing that it should spark her interest because she then knows you're available you never know she could even tell you she likes you without you telling her you like her first

If that goes well maybe you could tell her you've liked her for a while and see how it goes, I wouldn't wait a few months what if she moves on??? You've lost your chance and it might not come round again

Keep us updated

#9 confusedbubble, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  10. nuggetbiscuit

I think it is normal for her to act like she did before because she doesn't know that you know she likes you and she still may be playing it cool. just try to get in touch with her, show her that you care about her. if she really likes you; since you don't let her you like her, you would not want her to get over you and get distracted by someone else. wish you the best^^

#10 nuggetbiscuit, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  11. kate92

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You guys are fantastic! Thank you SO much for your generous advice, I truly appreciate it!

I think I will go with the least brave option of finding ways to spend more time with her and see what develops! Then hopefully by doing that there will be a time that feels right to come out to her at the very least and maybe even let her know I have feelings for her.

I'm glad to see that no one has said she might have lost interest. I think it makes sense that she's trying to keep it safe at the moment because she doesn't know I'm gay.

I get tiny butterflies just entertaining the idea of this going anywhere :grin: She's really funny and cool (and talented!)

Will definitely keep you guys updated.

Oh! One more thing.... and you might read this and have a face palm moment..... but remember that I am not out to anyone and we have over 100 mutual friends....

She comes up on myT inder but I'm too afraid to click like so I always close the app haha.

Should I bite the bullet and hit like?? The only concern is she will probably message a mutual good friend (the same one who she told she had a crush on me) showing him that we matched.... so he will then know...

#11 kate92, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  12. confusedbubble

I'd probably bite the bullet and click like at least it'll give her the hint you're into her.
    If she says anything to your mutual friend then all's good you could even give them a hint you like her, I know you're not out but you'll have to give her the hint you like her some how.

13. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm gonna go bold and just say ask her out. If she already told a friend she's into you she's gonna say yes. There's no reason to beat around the bush. Just make it short and sweet and make sure it says the word "date". She's not going to say no. Have courage. She's gay...she wants you to ask her out.

#13 OutofZCloset, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  14. soner

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ooh your so lucky! :grin: i say go for it! Best of luck <3

15. kate92

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Arrrrrgh I sooo want to. Being closeted it the worst :frowning2:. Excuse my self pity..

Maybe I should bite the bullet and do it and get it all out of the way at once.

16. confusedbubble

Let us know how it goes, if she's told a friend she's into you and your friends told you then maybe she told him because she's shy just do it if you don't you regret what could of been by being too scared.

As I said you even invite her out under the pretension of asking her advice of how to come out but then you give her the hint you're gay too she may even ask you out

17. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    you said you look straight. i think that she thinks youre stragiht and just tries to act casual to avoid making things awkward between you and her. I should just ask her out and try to become better friends with her. maybe tell her youre gay once youre close and trust her?

18. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ask if she's a lesbian and start from there... I'm bad at advice...

19. kate92

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok I'm totally going to do it. I think I'll start with liking her on ******. That way I can open up a conversation about it without it being out of the blue.

I'll let you guys know how I go. I'm terrified!!!

20. confusedbubble

(!)(!)(!) Go you do it at least you'll have something to talk about when you click like keep us updated