1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom suffering from sex addiction?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by youfutube, Apr 13, 2016.

1. youfutube

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi everyone. Long story short, my mom was divorced about 8 years ago, and she has been dating women ever since, I support her because I love her for who she is. She’s 38 years old, and I’m 18, will be going to college in Fall. We live in New York City.

Last month, my mom and I moved in with another woman who she has been dating for over 9 months, she’s the same age as my mom. We live in this large studio, basically one large room with no walls. Plus a kitchen, a bathroom, and a balcony.

Because of the fact that we’re sleeping in the same room, there has been a privacy issue for my mother and her partner. I know they are very careful to not let me see any sexual aspect of their relationship. But almost every night, I can hear them kissing in bed. Even though the room is dark, I can hear them kiss very clearly. They’ve never done anything beyond that, since they try to keep quiet as much as possible, I took a quick peek once and I saw them both under the sheet, so nothing was exposed. I’m old enough to know and understand what they’re doing, and I never disturb them, I just try to pretend that I’m sleeping, even though sometimes I’m awake.

However, I am worried that my mom and her partner might be suffering from sex addiction, ever since they moved in together last month, they would kiss all night long every single night, they would kiss until about 5am, and then get a few hours of a sleep before work.

I am happy for her that she found a partner, and I will be moving out soon due to college, but I am very concerned that they may be suffering from sex addiction. Do you guys think I should raise my concern with her?

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If they are not even having sex then you can hardly call that a sex addiction. Judging from the fact that you are able to tell that they are kissing until 5am in the morning I would say that their activities keep you awake which is a problem. You can address the issue if you feel this is the case. Any chance you could get a private room?

3. robclem21

Ya. I would be tempted to say deprived long before I jumped to addiction here. There are definitely major privacy issues for her and for you, and this is likely not the healthiest living arrangement. Anyway, it sounds temporary so the 3 of you need to just hang in there (unless there are simple alternatives) and hopefully you move out soon so they can get the privacy they need.

I would not mention anything to them.

4. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They have only been dating months. They are still in the hot a heavy phase of a relationship. Sex frequency usually declines some after the first one to two years. But having a high sex drive isn't unhealthy. Sex addiction is different and much more destructive. My advice is to sleep with earbuds or get a white noise machine and a privacy screen. Also you don't loose your sex drive as you age, that's kinda a myth, you should see how the single ladies react to a single man at the retirement village. LOL

5. A Mindful Wolf

Sex addiction from only kissing? It sounds more like the early stages of a relationship/moving in together, I think it's normal.