1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme jealousy and insecurities?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by beatlesguy, Apr 14, 2016.

1. beatlesguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've been dating my boyfriend for exactly a year now and we both really love eachother to death, but we both are also really insecure and especially me.. I just get really jealous and insecure for little things and it's really annoying.
    What has been making me worried the most at the moment is that I always start overthinking whenever he has to go to school, I just start thinking negative things like for example maybe other boys could flirt with him while I'm not there, but I also get jealous of his female friends, which is something that shouldn't worry a gay person at all, but I don't know, I get jealous and insecure about that too... I guess it's because they interact with him without me and that also makes me feel kinda sad and overthinking about what things they could be talking about, or maybe his friends could be saying negative things or act super flirty with because as he's gay and they're females ''it doesn't matter''... I don't know, all these things make me really sad and jealous and although we never cheated on eachother and we love eachother I really try to trust him but sometimes I just worry way too much about him interacting with others and I honestly really need to change that... Is it just that I'm very possessive? Or extremely jealous? What things can I do to get better at this? :icon_sad:

#1 beatlesguy, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. Plattyrex

It's okay to be clingy to people you really care about. That just shows that you love him. I would say you try to think more rationally about some of this. I'm sure he loves you very much and you shouldn't even have to worry about these things. As long as you trust him it won't matter if people are flirting with him or anything.

3. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have the same problem. i think that im not good enough or easily replaceable. im super clingy and overprotective.
    If you trust eachother, and you know he loves you, try not to worry as much. try not thinking about it too much. If you know him good enough and trust him then I doubt he'll cheat on you or anything

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being clingy has very little to do with you loving someone and much more about you being insecure about yourself. This is not good or healthy for you or for your partner. It takes energy from you and it is really annoying to your partner if you constantly doubt his commitment to you.

If possible you might want to talk to a therapist as low self-esteem has it roots in your past and it is entirely likely that the same events that made you insecure are affecting other parts of your personality too.

If you cannot afford a therapist or absolutely don't want to talk to one you could try some self-help books. There are a lot of useless self-help books out there on just about any issue. However, this particular title comes with recommendations from various well-reputed mental health organizations. It's called "Overcoming low self-esteem" by M. J. V. Fennell. You can find it from the Pirate Bay for instance.

I hope this helps.