1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stop them calling you an 'IT'?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by aceabegq, Apr 17, 2016.

1. aceabegq

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know some people use It pronouns, but I'm super uncomfortable with them being used on me. How do I ask someone to refrain from using them? They seem to think it's a joke but I get pretty upset if/when they use them.

Advice?

-Ace

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My first reflex would be to punch them in the face, but I don't think that'd be appropriate :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

On another note, though, people who do that don't deserve your time. It's one thing to use male or female pronouns when they're not desired, but using ''it''? That's just plain disrespectful. If they don't stop even after you tell them, simply don't associate yourself with them anymore. If they realize that they made a mistake, they will apologize.

3. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, calling someone "It" is like treating them like an object. There is nothing really I can add to what RainbowGreen has said. Just correct them if they are wrong with the pronouns you would like to use. If they no not desist in calling you "it" the are clearly a bit of an arsehole and are really not worth your time.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unless that is a person's preferred pronouns, using it is extremely disrespectful. I would tell the person that those are not the pronouns that you use, and that you find it pronouns offensive. If they continue to use it pronouns, then I would cut them off completely, because it is clear that they do not respect you and your identity.

5. aceabegq

Out Status:
    A few people
    These sound like great ideas, except that they're people close to family. They upgraded to calling me 'thing' :/

6. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Politely ask them to shove their wrinkly ass scrotem up their ass and move along

7. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you can manage, next time they call you "it" or "thing", give them a firm short speech on how offensive it is for them to mislabel you and to treat you like an object. That you deserve respect even if how you identify with your gender may be unconventional. If they continue, just give a blank stare, like "is this person mentally ill?" and then turn away and do not engage or respond. They are probably doing this for your reaction and if all they get is a quiet disdain, hopefully they will stop.

8. aceabegq

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice guys! I think I might try writing a letter/having a sit down with them to explain why its upsetting for me to hear that. Thanks again!
    -Ace

9. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    thats super disrespectfull of them! I would just kick their ass, but thats not really a good idea lol. Maybe tell them that you dont like it? idk if they joke it in a friendly way or a mean way, but if theyre mean I wouldnt even listen to them in the first place. theres a reason they do it, and thats to make you feel they way you do now. dont let them win and just try to ignore it and them and move on because there are way more friendlier people that DO deserve your attention