1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to get my friends to stop asking me what my sexuality is

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by alexandrite, Apr 19, 2016.

1. alexandrite

I love my friends a lot and a lot of them are gay so they would understand if I told them I like girls, but I am not ready to be out yet. During lunch sometimes my friend group will talk about sexuality and then I'll be asked if I'm a lesbian. I used to just say no but for the past couple of months I've felt like I'm lying to them. I don't want to lie to them but I also don't want to tell them the truth. The most recent time I just said "I don't know" and there was a long, awkward pause before someone changed the subject (this was with a friend of mine who is very religious and straight)...I don't know if anyone can help me but if you have any advice or even a similar experience, it would be very much appreciated...

2. confusedbubble

It's a hard one because you can't say I don't want to speak about it because they might suspect you aren't straight, but you want them to be accepting of the lgbt community.

Maybe you could just say something like didn't you ask me that last week or a few days ago or one day ago?? Are you having problems with your memory Thank goodness you have a lesson planner because the amount of times you've asked that makes me worried you can remember what day we're on

That way you can turn it to a joke and not give a response, then if they ask again you could say So that's xx many days since you asked me that anyone would think you have an obsession over me (that's if you can get away with saying something like that to them in that light hearted way)

3. cakepiecookie

Tell them "I find this question annoying, quit asking me all the time".

Or start making up ridiculous fake sexualities: "I'm attracted to pineapples".

4. A Mindful Wolf

If they are asking they already know ^^
    Don't feel pressured to "admit" anything, or "come out". If you think you need to make a statement about your sexuality, do the coming out game, but if you are happy right now, enjoy the ambiguity and interest for a while :grin:

5. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ouch this is a hard situation.
    I feel like alot of people go through this. atleast I have been.
    This means that they already kinda know and just want you to confirm it. Especially because you said Idk, they know that youre not straight. You could just ask them to drop it or not ask it, because you find it annoying. You shouldnt feel pressured to admit anything you dont want to admit. come out whenever youre ready. Im sure they already know and wont be shocked and just accept and love you no matter what :slight_smile:
    lots of luck and hugs!

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2016 at 11:30 PM ----------

Ouch this is a hard situation.
    I feel like alot of people go through this. atleast I have been.
    This means that they already kinda know and just want you to confirm it. Especially because you said Idk, they know that youre not straight. You could just ask them to drop it or not ask it, because you find it annoying. You shouldnt feel pressured to admit anything you dont want to admit. come out whenever youre ready. Im sure they already know and wont be shocked and just accept and love you no matter what :slight_smile:
    lots of luck and hugs!