1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The essence of being a woman? Existentialism

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Loppox, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, scince I started questioning my sexuality, there was this thing I noticed.

Basically, where I live is a religious area. Many people are christians. Our family however, is not religious. My mom has a religious background but we never attend church.

When I talk with people about the essence of being human, they always stress the gender roles: ''We are humans and we are build to survive and the human race has to live on and on etc.''

They put our essence in our genitalia and reproduction. Now I am not saying all religious people do this and I have no hate towards any religion at all. A lot of people in my area however, think this way.

It is logical if you put it this way, that a lot of people have a certain hate against homosexuals. They do not fulfill their view on the ''essence'' of being a human. It is not fair for sure, but logical. I think this is why so many people have a hard time understanding and they've probably been raised very strictly (internalized homophobia).

Why did I write this?

Because I wanted to pinpoint the reason why exactly 'Homosexuality' is regarded as a sin.

Also because a lot of people feel like less of a man, or less of a woman, when they are homosexual, bisexual, or have any kind of feelings towards the same sex.

I felt like less of a woman when I discovered I could have feelings for a woman. But why? Because my surroundings want me to have kids, to fulfill my role as a woman. A woman can have kids, so she should do so.

I felt miserable because of this thought: I am indeed a woman and I should bear children because I can right? I feel so woman, I don't want to lose that. I need a man for children, but I have no feelings towards men. What should I do?

I also thought that my essence of being lay in my gender. After that I got very angry, I don't want to feel this way, how do I change this thought? How do I still feel woman AND be okay with feeling for the same gender.

In the following months I observed a certain thing:

When people describe other people to each other, the most dominating feature will be metnioned first. In many cases: The gender.

After this other features will be mentioned, for example: ''Her name is Lisa.''

Note the following difference:

1. She is a woman. Her name is Lisa.

2. Their name is Lisa. She is a woman.

The second describing of a person, as we can see, mentions their name first and so, unconsciously, puts her name in the dominant position. The name is the dominant feature, whereas in sentence one the gender is the dominant feature.

Dominant Feature

As far as I have seen, or observed: Many people mention what they find the most dominant feature first. What do they do with this?

They, be it naturally or nurtured (I think is most cases nurtured nowadays), put the essence of being in that feature:

1. essence of being a woman: the dominant feature of a woman, for example: she can bear children.

2. essence of the name: the dominant feature of a name, for example: Being. And by being we automatically go to: Identity.

See how option two puts us in this much bigger area of possibilities?

What I am trying to say is, that this shift of thinking, putting my essence in my being rather then my womanhood, can help when struggling with gender identity and/or sexuality.

After having chosen option 2, you can put yourself in the position in what you want to stress the most in your life: Be it the colour you like, the sexuality you have or the gender you identify as, etc.

I think it is a very freeing way to think of life this way and can help us with accepting who we are. This is a sort of existentialistic view on life. Sartre would be proud, jk :')

Ok this was basically a huge ramble, sorry I guess this whole piece was messy but it just needed to get out.

Have a great day tho!

(If you have any critical advise, please give it to me, I did not want to offend anyone with this piece)

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, it was an interesting read.

Here's another way to look at things. The use of gender roles and nature as an excuse for exclusion is nothing more than an excuse to justify the act of exclusion. The reason why LGBT people are treated badly in many societies is because people graviate towards creating stability in their lives. They want to be able to predict the behaviir of others as familiarity creates a sense of safety. Gender and sexuality are two strong sources of stability. When you see a person dressed as a woman or man, you can automatically conclude what their gender is and who they are attracted to. Over time sexual orientation has become better understood yet it brings with it an increased sense of uncertainty when you can't know the sexuality of the person you are approaching. In the case of men, people started associating certain signifiers with it to try and create a simple way to distinguish a gay man from a heterosexual man and the same can be said for lesbian women, creating a correlatiom between gender ane sexuality, with gay men behaving in feminine ways and lesbian women behaving in masculine ways. However, these signifers simply don't work and gender identity pretty much completely nullified this point of view.

In other words, people are afraid of ambiguity and not being able to instinctively know how others will react. This is at the core of excluding others and prejudice and one of the reasons why religion is such a powerful force, religion gives people a set of rules to follow and it allows you to predict the behavior of others as you can assume they are following the rules. However this is only true for people of a certain religion and as such converting others is such an important part of many religions. (That's also why people try to convert or cure people in the case of sexual orientation.)

Because the main purpose of religion (beyond the belief in a higher being) seems to be to give rules of conduct and behavior and to cultivate stability, religion nearly universally views LGBT people in a negative light. Ever wondered why Muslims, Jews and Christians all have nearly the exact same views about LGBT people? That's the reason... LGBT people simply do the exact opposite of what religion is attempting to do thus religion leads to hatred of LGBT people. Some of the more progresive members of religions try to include LGBT people within the framework of their religion but these seem to be the minority.

A similar problem happened in Russia but this time the reasoj for exclusion lies in nationality, like religion, nationality gives a person a sense of stability and the laws help create a mostly predictable environment. If you meet someone, you can predict they won't try to murder you or steal your items. (Read the ten commandments with this explanation in mind, it gives laws of worship, family values and morality, all sources of stability.) In the case of Russia, communism creates an environment of extreme order, every person has their role in society and people act according to these roles, there is a huge amount of appeal in such a government system because if the reasons mentioned above. However like religion, the only reason it works is how restrictive the rules and laws are, it is not surprising that LGBT people will be villainized in such a system, in a very similar way to how they were villainized in nationalistic types of goverments which were so prevelant during WW2.

This is such a complicated subject and it seems to effect us in so many different ways but this explanation should give you an overview of the subject. I hope this was an interesting read and that nothing that I said hurts or insults anyone as that was obviously not my intention. (Talking about religion always makes me feel a bit uncomfortable because of how important it is for some people and the important role it serves in their lives.)

(*hug*)

Eveline

3. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, that is also an observation I made which I forgot to conclude. You, however, pointed that flaw in my writing out. Thank you.

It's exactly like you said, Eveline.

People want stability. Every singel one of us. Why do people flee to religion or certain forms of government then?

I think it's because it gives people purpose, for example reproduction. That purpose however, is totally made up by ourselves and only ourselves. And when someone higher gives us purpose, or just any more dominant external factor, we don't question it: Parents and/or culture.

That's why so many people with religious struggle with internalized homophobia. They also begin to question their essence as a person (at least some people I know do), because 'Logical' use of the genitalia (male and female) is not the way they are gonna use it. Sexual repulsed people also feel very depressed because of that fact.

When we change our opinion on the essence of being (human), our happiness can blossom. If we have an existentialistic way of looking at life, we can become so free with our thinking and put our essence of being just in our being.

But sometimes freedom doesn't give us the happiness we want. Because sometimes we don't know what we want. We are too free.

Sometimes we flee towards stability and predictability again: religion/culture/etc.

And sometimes we keep that freedom.

But we want limits, and that's why everyone is struggling to label themselves nowadays. It puts you in a box, which can make you feel trapped, but also stable at the same time.

But that's another topic for another time :slight_smile:

thanks for reading this, have a great day. :grin:

4. ChillPenguin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Great read. :slight_smile:

I wish labels didn't exist. Any label. LGBT, gender, religion etc. It's a human concept that doesn't even exist, yet only promotes fear and hatred. Without labels we could all live a life however we wanted, be with whoever without fear of being judged, and live a true life of equality.

#4 ChillPenguin, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  5. gamergirl99

I totally agree. I don't necessarily like labels. They just give meanings to things and sometimes it can be offensive.
    I mean, seriously, think about it. "Gay" and "straight" are two different things, right? Why do we need to be labeled? Calling people gay or anything else can sometimes affect the people to feel differently. They can feel different or out of place. Why can't we call people "people"? I understand that we need labels for some reasons but using those labels as names or nicknames sometimes can hurt.

#5 gamergirl99, Apr 24, 2016
  6. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually labels are unbeluevably important, it is a way for us to simplify cognition which in turn leads to an increased ability to understand the world and make sense of it. Without an ability to label we would rely on memory to make sense of the world and life would be an overwhelming mess as you would need to access memories to understand simple concepts such as what is a chair. However, even if we ignore the linguistic problems of people not being able to label (we depend heavily on labeling objects, concepts and ideas.) and just focus on labels such as gay or transgender it is still a serious problem because without the LGBT labels, how could people conduct widespread research of sexuality and gender, how would people know that being LGBT is normal without us having the tools to explain ourselves. Just to make it clear, transgender or transexuality is a modern label, before it existed it was not acceptable for people to transition, trans people mostly forced to suffer silently and define themselves according to their birth sex.

Now, if we take this a step further and take away gender labels, think of the confusion concerning reproduction. We would revert to our primal instincts, there would be no women's rights or more importantly we simply wouldn't have the tools to create anything rssembling a modern society. With regards to more complex labels such as genderqueer, agender or other non binary labels. People here choose to identify with these modern labels because it helps them explain to others who they are and educate them about what it means, they can also choose not to adopt the label but doing so means that others won't be able to understand who they are. No one would research the non binary identities and people would remain ignorant concerning the subject matter.

In a sense by saying that you wish there weren't any labels you are pretty much letting those who object to the idea that those labels exist win. You are going along with the religious people who believe that conversion therapy is an effective solution because people aren't really gay, it is just a label and LGBT people are simply confused... this isn't because they are religious, they believe this because they are ignorant on the subject and don't understand what it really means to be gay, how it feels and who we are. They never spent the time needed to learn everything there is to know about the label and as such they don't understand it.

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2016 at 05:24 AM ----------

Edit: Sorry I understand the spirit behind not wanting labels to exist and I feel that my response wasn't fair because of how literal I took the words. :icon_redf

Yes, it is frustrating thar people fall into patterns of behavior that are hurtful to others. That they exclude others and hurt them. I hate that and I hope that if people become more aware of what they are doing when they exclude others. What their purpose is and how they are being guided by instincts that are better to be ignored, they will realize that it is simply better to accept others for who they are and there are other ways to create stability without hurting other people.

#6 Eveline, Apr 24, 2016
  7. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to agree with Eveline on this one.

Where the opinion ''I wish there were no labels'' stems from is not from the words itself. Like Eveline said, deviding things is nessecary to understand and control our world.

The problem lies in the meaning that comes with the word. And most of the time, the meaning our surroundings give to a certain word, you will copy it, or at least find it very difficult to change a meaning to a certain word.

For instance:

Homosexuality in my surroundings is linked with: A sin, bad habits and unnessecary business.

Homosexuality is not directly linked with those words. Objectively, the word has nothing to do with those words, but again it is linked, aka it has a certain meaning.

What this world needs is a change of that meaning that, unconsciously, comes with homosexuality. Basically a shift of culture.

However it is very difficult to achieve this, but labels in this case can help us out. They can teach our surroundings what it's like to feel a certain feeling and try to make them comprehend.

You don't have to label yourself, you seriously don't.

People in conservative surroundings however, have a strong feeling of doing so. why? Because they need to find a community, a sense of belonging. A sense of belonging means the understanding of a certain feeling and there you have it: label.

We people are social animals and therefore automatically form groups.

What we want are groups in which everyone can feel like they belong somewhere AND at the same time they will be treated equally.

Unfortunately this will never happen, it can never happen. It is too idealistic to want that from the world right now. We try, and come further than our ancestors, but still there is inequality. I am certainly not saying we should not fight for equal rights, but simply a reminder of reality.

And you also have uncousciously meaning linked with a certain word. Even as simple as a colour.

I, for example, link the word red with passion and fierceness. While other people link it with blood and death.

Everybody does it and it's not wrong by any means. It's wrong when people get excluded and belittled because of some opinions the other persons have.

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2016 at 09:59 AM ----------

Exactly :grin:

I think it's not nessecarily instincts that guide them, more of an integrated aspect. A nurtured one. As babies we have no meaning and no certain opinion towards homosexuality. Otherwhise we could not have different opinions towards homosexuality.

Culture and family are such determining factors when it comes to opinions.
    If it's so integrated, or nurtured it will feel like the following

1+1=2

Logical, right? We've all learned this from school/parents and we never question it. But then the following happens:

1+1=3

We do not agree with this right? Even I don't, because it is learned to me that it is wrong. When I meet people who WILL say 1+1=3, I would say they are stupid.

This is how it works with meaning towards words.

It's why many people struggle with internalized homophobia.