1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be support without smothering?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by A Mindful Wolf, Apr 26, 2016.

1. A Mindful Wolf

I have a friend who took a few years to finally accept himself, but he's going through a rough patch in his life now (partly related to his sexuality, but not entirely) and doing a lot of stupid things (a lot of hookups, going to other homes, even spending the night in other countries!). It's also affecting his health I can see.
    I don't know what to do...I WANT to just hug him and let him spill it all out, but we have a pretty emotional history and I don't want to open any of those doors right now. I'm afraid that I'll smother him, but I think he has nobody else right now.
    What's the best approach?

2. Kevin240

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Under those circumstances, I think you might need to take a low key approach. Make sure he knows that you're there for him if he needs you. Tell him that if he wants to talk you're there to listen. I totally understand the urge to just hug him and somehow make things right. But, as you said, that could open up a lot of doors that you're not ready to venture through. It's a hard situation, watching someone you care about engaging in self-destructive behavior. The thing is to be a friend, offer to listen, offer support and advice if he asks, but don't let yourself get totally immersed in his pain.