1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom Drives Me Nuts, Want To Move Out, But I Feel Guilty

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Invidia, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    My mom is really nice and all, but... She really annoys me sometimes. Much unlike me, she's about the most social person I know, and she just won't ever stop talking, even when it's obvious that I don't want to talk - she doesn't care about whether I want to talk or not, she just keeps on talking, talking, talking... And it gets to me, especially when I'm not feeling well. She makes me feel worse then.

So I've been thinking for a while that I'd prefer to live alone. But there's a problem... I feel guilty about moving out. On the one hand I'm thinking that maybe she'd be able to move on more with her life after I move out (she dotes on me a lot and I know she treasures me), and also I think that having this cold, distant version of me around maybe is just hurting her, but she's also sickly in many ways and I feel bad for her. Me I'm mentally ill and I can't seem to snap out of it, so it's not like I'm much help anyway, but at least sometimes if she's particularly bad I'll go buy her a pizza or something to make sure she eats. I'm worried about how she'll do if I move out. I feel like I'm doing something bad to her.

I also feel guilty in that in that case I'd have to apply for additional benefits to pay the rent for an apartment, since I'm unemployed (and not in school) at the moment.

I don't know quite what to do...

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start with doing whatever it is you need to get a place. Look for a job, apply for benefits, think about roommate options. It's probably going to take some time.

What your mom does without you around is her responsibility, not yours. Keep in mind that moving out doesn't mean you never call or visit. You can still keep an eye on her while also taking care of yourself. You're not doing anything bad to her—you're doing something completely normal. It's natural for you to want to move out and adopt your own space.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Thanks. I'm rather the sensitive type and the type who's guilty about pretty much everything I do, so making decisions like these can be hard on me sometimes. But yeah, maybe I'll start trying and look around for options.