1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to ask my teacher for help?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by intherye, Apr 28, 2016.

1. intherye

This question isn't that relevant to this forum, but I need advice and anyway is does contain some LGBTQ stuff. Hope no one minds.

So my friend is anorexic and I first asked my teacher for help two years ago when I told her about this. Since then, my friend has been in the process of getting help and I've been consistently talking to the teacher, every term or so, about her progress. Recently, me and this friend have started dating and I asked my teacher's advice on whether this was sensible, considering her eating disorder. In this session with my teacher we discussed my parents' views on my sexuality too, and at one point I started crying and she helped me. It was the first time we talked about anything other than my friend's problem and it made me feel better about everything, even though we didn't discuss anything in particular.

The teacher has implied she's wanted to speak to me before but waited for me to find her (she's said things like "I've been wanting to catch up, I'm relieved you came"). But I just want to talk with her, not about my friend in particular, and I don't know how to ask her. I especially want to talk to her about my Aspergers, but I feel I can't just knock on her door and be like "can I inform you about my Aspergers". Would it even be appropriate to do so?

How do I ask if she's willing to talk to me?

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, if she was compassionate about your friend's problems what makes you think she wouldn't be compassionate about your problems?

3. intherye

It's not that I'm worried she wouldn't be compassionate exactly, as I know she would be. It's more that I don't know how to approach her? I don't know, this question probably makes no sense. It's just mmy bad social skills haha.

4. emmadances

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well from what you've written , I would say that I think you should approach her by being like can we talk please and maybe think of like your worries and try to phrase it into a question. try not to overthink it, and let the conversation happen naturally, although I know that can be difficult. :slight_smile:

5. intherye

Thanks, that really helps :grin: phrasing it into a question is an especially good idea! <3

6. Kevin240

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is good advice. You could maybe say to her that she's been so understanding and helpful about your friend that you wonder if you could talk to her about some of your own issues. From what you've said, I'm sure she'll be receptive.