1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hockeyplayer45, Apr 29, 2016.

1. hockeyplayer45

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry for the vague title, but I honestly don't know what is wrong with me. Let me explain. I'm 21 years old and came to terms with the fact I'm gay not too long ago. In that time, I've hooked up with a few guys, but I'm completely over that now. I want something more, like a committed relationship. But that's where it gets tricky, literally every time another guy shows interest in me, I find a reason to turn him down. He's not tall enough, I don't like his hair, he doesn't look athletic, he's too skinny, and the list goes on and on.

I just don't understand. I'm driving myself crazy being lonely and having to go places and do things either alone or with friends while everyone else my age seems to be in at least somewhat of a committed relationship. But I just won't take a chance. I'm so extremely picky that I have a list of requirements so long before I'd even think about dating a guy that I know it's unrealistic to ever expect to find someone that satisfies them all.

How do I overcome this? I know I'm being to restrictive, but I don't know why? Is this some sort of real psychological issue? Any opinions?

2. DalBCN

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, nothing is wrong with you.

Now..

Don't worry about it. You're looking for someone you want to spend the rest of your life with. I love cars, and spent a very emotional 3-months before finding and wanting my (3rd) car. All black '05 ZHP btw. Now imagine finding a person.

Dating isn't fun, but when you find someone you genuinely like it's all worth it. I'm currently dealing with the bullshit feelings involved with suddenly not liking someone I "loved" for half a year.

It's not fun, but I'm a stronger, smarter, person now.

Look at it that way. If that's not enough, look at the rest of your life and think about how good it is. You don't need a relationship to be happy. A relationship is icing on your cake.

#2 DalBCN, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016