1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you first say 'I love you'?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hedgehog, Apr 30, 2016.

1. hedgehog

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Subject speaks for itself - when did you first say 'I love you' to your significant other.

Is it ever too early to say it to them?

I have been with my girlfriend for less than 3 months and I have almost dropped the L bomb around her so many times. I have to say that I feel so in love with her and she feels the same about me too. I'm scared that if I say it now, it might be too early but then I don't want to drag it out. I know people say things like 'you'll know when you know' but I do know, and I'm just scared.

Thanks

2. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I said it after 10 days. I know...i know ...I don't know what I was thinking....it just slipped out after she fucked me silly. :slight_smile: Lucky for me I ended up marrying her. We've been together for 20 years now and I've never stopped saying it.

3. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow that's great :grin:

4. PrettyinPunk

I haven't said it, ever actually. I also think there's sometimes too much pressure on when it should be said. If you feel you love your girl, and she feels the same, why hesitate? Or maybe you could show it instead, either way just make sure you mean it.:slight_smile:

5. Embi

Embi Guest

I didn't really say it. I once said "and that's why I love you", but I don't know if that counts.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you happen to find some good in another person, loving them becomes easy, because what you love is the good thing that you've found. Put another way, one should seek those "goods" and focus on those to minimize the "not so goods".

All to say, that saying I love you is not necessarily fraught with risk, or that it means eternal and undying commitment. Loving someone should not be so consequential...love the good that you see in the other, and say it, often.

7. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you're dying to say it. Who cares how long it's been? Stop withholding. If your in love say it. It's like coming out of the closet. It will make you feel so much better. :slight_smile: (!)

8. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Four months. My girlfriend had wanted to say it for months already but she was too afraid that it would scare me away. I told her that it wouldn't scare me away. I'd wanted to say it for a while as well, but I was afraid. My first boyfriend said "I love you" a month into our relationship and I, not really knowing what to do, said "I love you too" even though I realized later that I didn't. I specifically wanted to wait three months because I'd never had a relationship last past that mark.

There's no specific formula for when you can say it. If you feel ready, then find the moment that feels right and tell her. :slight_smile:

9. Chicagoblue

Blessed if you do, blessed if you don't. Congratulations!!!!

10. hedgehog

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you everyone for the replies :slight_smile: