1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with one friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sunshine360, May 1, 2016.

1. sunshine360

sunshine360 Guest

Okay this is kind of lengthy so sorry about that but it's something I need to get off my chest so...

I have one straight male friend. He has told me many times that he likes me more than a friend and that he has a crush on me. Almost every time we talk, he brings it up. He tells me that he wants us to be a couple and asks about how I feel about him. I told him that I love him as a friend and I want to continue being friends, but have no interest in being more. He tells me that he will buy me tons of things if we become a couple and that he won't stop asking until I say yes.

I told him that I don't want to be with him because it would be a one-sided relationship and I couldn't give him the affection he needs. He told me he doesn't really care about affection. I have a feeling he will probably bring it up more, but I'm at a loss at what to say. I don't want to be a jerk about it, but at the same time I want to stand my ground. Any advice?

2. DalBCN

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it bugs you, I'd get out of the situation. If he starts getting demanding, definitely get out because that could lead to bad things.

You're not a jerk for turning someone down. Especially if they can't respect your lack of (communicated) interest.

3. Lyr

Lyr Guest

If he doesn't stop irritating you with it, you should continue to refuse him with more conviction or simply distance yourself to make him understand that if he persists your friendship will be in danger

4. Spotofpaint

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your friend isn't being a very good friend. He's showing a lot of disrespect by asking you the same thing repeatedly over and over again when you've already made it clear you're UNABLE to return his affections.

I was in love with my straight best friend in high school, so I've been in this situation. I was so madly in love I had to at least tell her how I felt, even though I knew the answer she'd give me in return. We had one, meaningful, deep conversation about it, where she very gently let me down like I knew she would. Afterward, we remained best friends because it was all out in the open and we knew where the other person stood. I never asked her again out of respect for our friendship and out of respect for her. I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable, and I wanted her to be happy when she eventually found a guy to date.

Your friend should do the same. If he cares about you if he respects you, he should stop making you feel uncomfortable or bad about yourself. He shouldn't be pressuring you like that. And if he persists the way he has been, then he's not your friend, and you need to cut him off and stop seeing him.